Assorted Miocene Teeth From China

GarethGP

So I purchased 19 assorted Miocene-aged teeth from (according to the American seller) China a few years ago. The seller had given most of them a vague label (which I've labelled the pics with) - but wasn't able to get more specific. Could anyone help me narrow down which species they might be? Are there resources people are aware of that could help point me in the direction of being able to ID these teeth? Or is it very unlikely I'll get any definitive ID on these and I'll just have to accept a broad family-level description of what they are? I attached an extra picture of a giraffid tooth from the same collection - I reached out to a Chinese expert on miocene teeth from china and he believes "that it's a lower right canine and that it might belong to Palaeotragus or Palaeotragus-sized giraffid based on size". I thought FF members might find some interest in that. 

PXL_20230318_200913052.jpg

PXL_20230318_201047236.jpg

PXL_20230318_201057470.jpg

PXL_20230318_201302509.jpg

PXL_20230318_201709424.jpg

Edited by GarethGP

Here is my thought.  You could search TFF for Bovid, Bison, Deer, Camelid,  premolars,  maxilla, mandibles.... You would find almost exact duplicates to most of these. BUT they would not be named the same between China Miocene and US Pleistocene.

So I think , with my experience in the US fossils,  that in Incisors #1 and #2 are camelid and #4 is horse.If you provide exact measurements, I might be able to ID closest sized US Camel_llama or Horse.

But then there is that Big piece of research to identify the fauna in the China Miocene. Above my pay grade.

DeerBovidBisonLowerPremolar.JPG.a3169fcfda4cb4a75f37fbb304d3e769.JPG

This one is obviously fossilized and would be a deer or Bison lower premolar based on size.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/uploads/monthly_10_2007/post-1-1191229816.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

6 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Here is my thought.  You could search TFF for Bovid, Bison, Deer, Camelid,  premolars,  maxilla, mandibles.... You would find almost exact duplicates to most of these. BUT they would not be named the same between China Miocene and US Pleistocene.

So I think , with my experience in the US fossils,  that in Incisors #1 and #2 are camelid and #4 is horse.If you provide exact measurements, I might be able to ID closest sized US Camel_llama or Horse.

But then there is that Big piece of research to identify the fauna in the China Miocene. Above my pay grade.

DeerBovidBisonLowerPremolar.JPG.a3169fcfda4cb4a75f37fbb304d3e769.JPG

This one is obviously fossilized and would be a deer or Bison lower premolar based on size.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/uploads/monthly_10_2007/post-1-1191229816.jpg

I'd say that one is deer, as are the rest in his hand - much, much too small for bison.

• I found this Informative 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

5 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

I'd say that one is deer, as are the rest in his hand - much, much too small for bison.

Agree, but it might not be called Odocoileus virginianus.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"