Surface finds in Mississippi, this afternoon.

Rock Hound

At least 415 individual shark teeth; although many are very small and / or broken.  None are pristine; but they are fossils, and all were found in a few hours, by little ol' me.  I hunted until I was worn out, from walking and bending over to pick them up.  A few tiny pieces of ray plates, too.

20230318_184549_(1).jpg

• Enjoyed 11

Nice haul!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

11 hours ago, Rock Hound said:

At least 415 individual shark teeth; although many are very small and / or broken.  None are pristine; but they are fossils, and all were found in a few hours, by little ol' me.  I hunted until I was worn out, from walking and bending over to pick them up.  A few tiny pieces of ray plates, too.

Nicely done... No pain, no gain.

This quantity of surface finds would make me wonder  "What is  below the surface?",   in adjacent creeks or rivers...:zzzzscratchchin:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Well done!  You must have found a spot that no one else has hit in a while... that's getting very hard to do where I hunt.  

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Nicely done... No pain, no gain.

This quantity of surface finds would make me wonder  "What is  below the surface?",   in adjacent creeks or rivers...:zzzzscratchchin:

It does make me wonder.  There are so many relatively small shark teeth, and little tiny broken bits of small ray plate; but very little else, working its way to the surface.  Obviously, those sharks were eating the rays.

3 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

Well done!  You must have found a spot that no one else has hit in a while... that's getting very hard to do where I hunt.  

I know I can't keep it to myself forever.  One of these days, I'll likey go back and find others there.  That's just the way it is.  If you don't own the property itself, you don't own the spot.  We do what we can, when we can.

• I Agree 1

Was this along the river? I know that area was an in-land sea, but, I'm amazed you can find anything in that mud.

Congratulations. Really nice haul. Do you know age/formation those teeth were found in? 

3 hours ago, automech said:

Was this along the river? I know that area was an in-land sea, but, I'm amazed you can find anything in that mud.

It wasn't along a river.  It was on dry ground; which had been rained on lightly, the previous day.

4 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations. Really nice haul. Do you know age/formation those teeth were found in? 

Cretaceous era, I believe?

Edited by Rock Hound

2 hours ago, Rock Hound said:

Cretaceous era, I believe.

It looks more like Eocene to me. Looks like some Brachycarcharias and Striatolamia, but hard to tell. I’m not seeing anything that is typical Cretaceous.

38 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It looks more like Eocene to me. Looks like some Brachycarcharias and Striatolamia, but hard to tell. I’m not seeing anything that is typical Cretaceous.

Ok, perhaps I stand corrected?  Good to know.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Return visit, April 1st.  3 fossil hunts here, total.  1st visit, was good.  2nd visit, was great.  3rd visit, was just OK.  But now, I am confident I have picked this site clean of surface finds.  I must be patient, and wait a good while; for heavy rains and erosion, to do their work.

1st Find, this trip:

20230401_160144_(1).jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Great stuff, im Not sure whether that last tooth is serratolamna or brachycarcharias 

On 4/2/2023 at 3:54 AM, Notidanodon said:

Great stuff, im Not sure whether that last tooth is serratolamna or brachycarcharias 

Thank you.