Plesiosaur propodial Cap Blanc-Nez

charlie3425

Today I bought this little gem at the 'Nautilus' fossil fair in Ghent (Belgium). It was sold to me as (and probably will be) a humerus/femur of a juvenile Plesiosaur found at Cap Blanc-Nez. Is this id correct? Is anything more specific to be told about it? Lenght is about 10cm, it's 2.5cm wide. Thanx for any words!

IMG_9557.jpg

IMG_9558.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

IMG_9560.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

'It was life, Jim. But not as we know it.'

That does look like the distal end of a juvenile plesiosaur (sensu lato) propodial! Nice specimen and really cool find for fossil fair! :default_clap2:

I don't know if it'd indeed have come from Cap Blanc-Nez, as I haven't seen too many vertebrate fossils from that location. Maybe @Manticocerasman would be able to confirm the locality based on preservation. However, I expect that the specimen more likely comes from Cap Gris-Nez, which comprises older strata in which plesiosaur remains are more common (and in terms of names easily mixed up). Preservation would be consistent with Late Jurassic vertebrate finds from the region.

Since we're missing the proximal part of the propodial, it's impossible to say whether this is a humerus or femur. And since it's a juvenile specimen and these tend to have rounded distal ends, I don't think differentiation between pliosaur versus plesiosaur can be made either, let alone species attribution.

Still, like I said, really nice purchase! :default_clap2:

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

That does look like the distal end of a juvenile plesiosaur (sensu lato) propodial! Nice specimen and really cool find for fossil fair! :default_clap2:

I don't know if it'd indeed have come from Cap Blanc-Nez, as I haven't seen too many vertebrate fossils from that location. Maybe @Manticocerasman would be able to confirm the locality based on preservation. However, I expect that the specimen more likely comes from Cap Gris-Nez, which comprises older strata in which plesiosaur remains are more common (and in terms of names easily mixed up). Preservation would be consistent with Late Jurassic vertebrate finds from the region.

Since we're missing the proximal part of the propodial, it's impossible to say whether this is a humerus or femur. And since it's a juvenile specimen and these tend to have rounded distal ends, I don't think differentiation between pliosaur versus plesiosaur can be made either, let alone species attribution.

Thanx Alexander! I recognised a propo and in this small size I had not seen one before... I immediately fell in love. Had to buy it ;)... The little piece of paper in the cardboard box containing the fossil says CBN (Cap Blanc Nez) P6. Maybe P6 means anything to you?

Cap blanc nez might be possible, lower cretaceous sediments rarely contain marine vertebrates. Never found one myself, but saw some in collections.

Great show, lucky find! 

How was the show beside? Did you do some pics?

We went to Nancy-Gentille today, small fair with minerals, fossils and insects. We met some friends there and got interesting material. But, otherwise it is very small and has more minerals than fossils

IMG_1407.thumb.JPG.882e064b284e979608385b09d2969844.JPG

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, rocket said:

Cap blanc nez might be possible, lower cretaceous sediments rarely contain marine vertebrates. Never found one myself, but saw some in collections.

Great show, lucky find! 

How was the show beside? Did you do some pics?

We went to Nancy-Gentille today, small fair with minerals, fossils and insects. We met some friends there and got interesting material. But, otherwise it is very small and has more minerals than fossils

IMG_1407.thumb.JPG.882e064b284e979608385b09d2969844.JPG

Well the seller found it himself I suppose. He had a whole table with Cap Blanc Nez stuff. I bidded to get a better price but I didn't ask more questions when I got a deal, pleased as I was with the gain. Does P6 mean anything to you in relation to Cap Blanc Nez?

The fair in Ghent is also quite small, with let's say 90% minerals and stones. But it used to be even worse for a fossil collector, so I was happy to see some new fossil stands this year (although some were selling fakes and some were far too expensive... so it goes).

I haven't got any pictures I'm afraid. The one photo I made was a discreet portrait of a wicka woman, completely dressed in pink, hairdue included. Some kinds of stones tend to attract some kind of people, wich is always a treat. Helps my reference window > I mostly think I'm the weirdo in the room. Ha! I can share the pic, but I prefer to respect the lady and keep it for my private wunderkammer ;).

The fair in Nancy-Gentille looks nice though, hope you could find anything for your collection?

38 minutes ago, charlie3425 said:

Does P6 mean anything to you in relation to Cap Blanc Nez?

I haven't got any pictures I'm afraid. The one photo I made was a discreet portrait of a wicka woman, completely dressed in pink, hairdue included. Some kinds of stones tend to attract some kind of people, wich is always a treat. Helps my reference window > I mostly think I'm the weirdo in the room. Ha! I can share the pic, but I prefer to respect the lady and keep it for my private wunderkammer ;).

The fair in Nancy-Gentille looks nice though, hope you could find anything for your collection?

P6, perhaps parking-area? No, do not know for sure, I can ask a friend who often collect there. My last visit is 20 years ago, often went there for the upper cretaceous fossils at Cap Blanc and Cap Gris Nez... The pic of the woman sound very delicious :rolleyes:, but better if you do not post it here...

We got a little bit for the collection and some pieces for the business. Went there for approx. 2 hours and afterwards we visited the Town. Great! Did a lot of pics, town and a small museum, wow

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

12 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I 've hold the exact same bone in my hands yesterday at the fair :P  , it looked indeed to be from cap blanc nez from one of the Albian phosphate layers.

I tried to purchase it also, but it was out of price range for me.

P6 is the top phosphate layer in the Albian deposits of Cap-Blanc-Nez.

Edited by Manticocerasman
  • I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

10 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

I 've hold the exact same bone in my hands yesterday at the fair :P  , it looked indeed to be from cap blanc nez from one of the Albian phosphate layers.

I tried to purchase it also, but it was out of price range for me.

P6 is the top phosphate layer in the Albian deposits of Cap-Blanc-Nez.

How funny, you were there too and considered the same fossil! Yeah, I thought it was pricey as well. [price removed as per forum rules] Still not cheap I suppose but its so lovely... And it was the only thing I could find of my interest (and for my budget). Did you find anything for your collection?

Thank you for explaining P6!

Edited by Kane
Removed sales price

cheap price for a rare and interesting piece, do not think that many others will come on the market...

• I Agree 1

33 minutes ago, charlie3425 said:

How funny, you were there too and considered the same fossil! Yeah, I thought it was pricey as well. Still not cheap I suppose but its so lovely... And it was the only thing I could find of my interest (and for my budget). Did you find anything for your collection?

Thank you for explaining P6!

We went mostly to catch up with other people for a chat :), We rarely buy fossils, but you never know if you can make a good deal.

We browsed through the book section at the entrance but didn’t find anything either. Although I almost bought a book on Czech goniatites .

Still the bone you got is realy rare , we have a few fieldtrips planned in the future to cap blanc nez, mabey some bone fragment will pop up. Fingers crossed :D

• Enjoyed 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

14 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

We went mostly to catch up with other people for a chat :), We rarely buy fossils, but you never know if you can make a good deal.

We browsed through the book section at the entrance but didn’t find anything either. Although I almost bought a book on Czech goniatites .

Still the bone you got is realy rare , we have a few fieldtrips planned in the future to cap blanc nez, mabey some bone fragment will pop up. Fingers crossed :D

I thought it was a little special because of the size and the location. But now I know it really is, I'm super pleased with it.

Hope you can find something special there too. Les Caps been about ten years ago for me. Knowing these kind of fossils are to be found there (alas rarely) I'm thinking to take another ride as well.

Here's another pic that shows the size better.

IMG_9562.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, charlie3425 said:

How funny, you were there too and considered the same fossil! Yeah, I thought it was pricey as well. [price removed as per forum rules] Still not cheap I suppose but its so lovely... And it was the only thing I could find of my interest (and for my budget). Did you find anything for your collection?

Yeah, doesn't sound very cheap for the size of the specimen. But considering it's age and the locality it was found at, for that price I'd definitely had gotten it myself as well ;)

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Yeah, doesn't sound very cheap for the size of the specimen. But considering it's age and the locality it was found at, for that price I'd definitely had gotten it myself as well ;)

I did not know prices were censored here...  I'm from the stone age what most web applications might concern, pun intended. :)

Edited by charlie3425
  • Enjoyed 1

Hi,

This was explained in the instructions given when you registered on the forum and accepted the conditions.

Coco

• Thank You 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg