Lyme Regis verts ID

Bonefind

Hi all

New member here - hope everyone is well?

After 37 years of bone hunting at Lyme Regis (and witnessing my disinterested wife find all sorts of icthy and plesiosaur verts) I finally struck gold (metaphorically, not pyrite) and found the below in 45 minutes of glorious morning pre work searching. 

I was hoping someone might be able to help with ID, I’m guessing the single is icthy, the connected ones I am not sure if they are more plesiosaur?

any views or pointers greatly received! 

E3C7CF1F-833B-4BD2-9644-80E14999B131.jpeg

173001CB-67F4-41BF-A4B2-0F5C4680034B.jpeg

6DEEB2B9-3F42-4FB0-8F91-119E42E4B7E7.jpeg

19 hours ago, rocket said:

cool, you are right with the single one

the others might be Ichthyo, too, not sure

Nice one cheers- wondering if from the same beast as only found a few metres apart 

1 hour ago, Bonefind said:

Nice one cheers- wondering if from the same beast as only found a few metres apart 

no one knows..., size would fit, why not

• I Agree 1

I agree, the hourglass shape of the isolated vertebra clearly identifies it as ichthyosaur, quite possibly Temnodontosaurus sp., seeing as it's size (most of what I've seen found at Lyme Regis is a lot smaller). The two articulated vertebrae are also ichthyosaurian, as can be seen in the very first photograph, which shows both the attachment site for the neural arch at the top, as well as one of the parapophyses (attachment sites for ribs) on the right of the top-most vertebra. The shape of this parapophysis is typical for those found on ichthyosaurs, not plesiosaurs. Again, seeing as the size of these articulated vertebrae and as they were found in close proximity to one another, I'd say the likelihood of them having come from the same individual are pretty good, as I can't imagine too many giant ichthyosaurs becoming exposed onto the beach simultaneously (if the vertebrae would've been smaller, that'd have been a different case).

Excellent find! :default_clap2:

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I agree, the hourglass shape of the isolated vertebra clearly identifies it as ichthyosaur, quite possibly Temnodontosaurus sp., seeing as it's size (most of what I've seen found at Lyme Regis is a lot smaller). The two articulated vertebrae are also ichthyosaurian, as can be seen in the very first photograph, which shows both the attachment site for the neural arch at the top, as well as one of the parapophyses (attachment sites for ribs) on the right of the top-most vertebra. The shape of this parapophysis is typical for those found on ichthyosaurs, not plesiosaurs. Again, seeing as the size of these articulated vertebrae and as they were found in close proximity to one another, I'd say the likelihood of them having come from the same individual are pretty good, as I can't imagine too many giant ichthyosaurs becoming exposed onto the beach simultaneously (if the vertebrae would've been smaller, that'd have been a different case).

Excellent find! :default_clap2:

Love this reply - really informative and exciting to think they may potentially belong together.

cheers!