Sometimes trips don't work out

Adam86cucv

Sunday morning we went to Stratford Hall to do a fossil hunt with the Natural History Society of Maryland.  The weather was not on board with the idea lol.  It was barely above freezing and quite windy.  Also tip for everyone if you buy waterproof winter gloves from Amazon double check they are waterproof. 3 out of our 4 pairs were, my oldest son's gloves were leaking at the fingertips.  Also it turned out our hand warmer packs wouldn't activate when we opened them.  Even though we didn't stick it out long we did find a pair of worn shark teeth and a pair of ray teeth pieces.  After we got dried and warmed back up we made our way up the road a short drive to visit the birthplace of George Washington.  We plan to go back down sometime when the weather will be more conducive to get in the water  A few pictures from our visit, note the white caps on the river.  

From the parking lot above the cliffs

IMG_20230319_100822207.thumb.jpg.45ec3fae2cc1faac87eacebf8a8bf3aa.jpg

original_aead6cdc-b843-45f9-8f8b-f77dd1b766f6_IMG_20230319_094020182.thumb.jpg.51a3ece618afb56d77144130aa118e4c.jpg

IMG_20230319_093914011.thumb.jpg.6eb9e3e7828cade161d57e143c49e31f.jpg

Our meager finds

IMG_20230319_195059207.thumb.jpg.470da31906f9f1faa8e0b255ea7cf1e4.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 8

Thanks for the reminder that I'm not the only one who has some poorly producing trips.  :) At least you had some great scenery and some family time.

• I Agree 3

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

4 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

Thanks for the reminder that I'm not the only one who has some poorly producing trips.  :) At least you had some great scenery and some family time.

That was part of the reason I posted it.  They all can't be trips with once in a lifetime finds or massive quantities.  I think it similar to fishing, some days all you can do is enjoy the scenery and your time with spent with those around you. 

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Oh, well, can't be a success every time. :Cry:

This is true. At the end of the day the boys said they had a good day, so it was still a win in our book.

1 hour ago, automech said:

I'm sure without the wind it would have been more tolerable. You're hard core, man.

Yeah that wind pretty brutal that morning.   We put this trip down as a learning experience.  

• Enjoyed 3

Trips like this are why I tend to hibernate in the winter! Brrrr! 

Still, family time should be taken no matter the weather. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I was there as well .. it was about as rough as I’ve seen it … please come back when it calms down.. Stratford is a great place to hunt and their paid trips are well worth it …here’s my haul from the day

C998F9E5-07FD-473B-9B7B-AFF447D8D225.jpeg

35 minutes ago, cck said:

I was there as well .. it was about as rough as I’ve seen it … please come back when it calms down.. Stratford is a great place to hunt and their paid trips are well worth it …here’s my haul from the day

C998F9E5-07FD-473B-9B7B-AFF447D8D225.jpeg

You saved Private Ryan!  We definitely plan to come back, hopefully it'll be nicer weather when we do.

I checked out the NHS of MD website. Very interested. Is Stratford the only field trip they make? Does being in the Society afford you a more "private" area to hunt at Stratford? Or, is it that the day is just open for Society members.

Several groups book trips at Stratford which allows you to hunt in the restricted areas under the cliffs. Stratford hosts its own trips as well.. check their website… the trips fill up quick 

• Thank You 1