Some tips for an amateur

Marco L

Hey, so I have been to both Big Brook and Ramanessin Brook a few times now, yet every time I spend hours there my yield still gets pretty low, and the finds are usually tiny or broken chunks of teeth. I was wondering if there are tips I could use, like which areas of the brooks usually have a higher yield, or just ways you guys have learned to look for fossils quickly. Also, where can I find brachiopod fossils in NJ? I saw videos of people finding online, but have yet to pinpoint an area to find them.

Thanks for looking and helping an amateur!

Marco L 

I'd suggest you join a local club. I'm not so sure if anyone here is willing to give away their honey holes. Patience and research are both necessary at any rate to achieve your goal.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The Cretaceous collecting brooks; Big Brook and, Ramanessin primarily expose the Wenonah Formation which mostly yields vertebrate fossils- shark teeth, some other fish (especially Enchodus), reptiles (mosasaurs, turtle, dinosaur bone chunks and teeth) and some invertebrate fossils (gastropod internal molds, ammonite chamber pieces). Above the Wenonah Formation is the Navesink. That is slightly younger and yields oysters, belemnites, and brachiopods. You can see it exposed in some the taller embankments and in side tributaries. Poricy Brook only exposes the Navesink.  Navesink fossils tend to mix with Wenonah ones in Big Brook and Ramanessin. If you find an area with a large concentration of oyster shell fragments you're probably in a good spot to find brachiopods. NYPS and DVPS visit the brooks at least once a year each. For vertebrate fossils, look for submerged gravel. If a particular spot isn't yielding much after a few sifts, move to some other spot. I tend to move around a lot. Spring tends to be the best hunting. Good luck. 

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'd suggest you join a local club. I'm not so sure if anyone here is willing to give away their honey holes. Patience and research are both necessary at any rate to achieve your goal.

That makes sense, thanks.

8 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

The Cretaceous collecting brooks; Big Brook and, Ramanessin primarily expose the Wenonah Formation which mostly yields vertebrate fossils- shark teeth, some other fish (especially Enchodus), reptiles (mosasaurs, turtle, dinosaur bone chunks and teeth) and some invertebrate fossils (gastropod internal molds, ammonite chamber pieces). Above the Wenonah Formation is the Navesink. That is slightly younger and yields oysters, belemnites, and brachiopods. You can see it exposed in some the taller embankments and in side tributaries. Poricy Brook only exposes the Navesink.  Navesink fossils tend to mix with Wenonah ones in Big Brook and Ramanessin. If you find an area with a large concentration of oyster shell fragments you're probably in a good spot to find brachiopods. NYPS and DVPS visit the brooks at least once a year each. For vertebrate fossils, look for submerged gravel. If a particular spot isn't yielding much after a few sifts, move to some other spot. I tend to move around a lot. Spring tends to be the best hunting. Good luck. 

Should I choose spots with piles of those calcite stones, or is there no specific thing to look for when choosing sifting sites?