Crabs Crabs And More Crabs

micropterus101

Headed out Thursday to the lincoln creek formation in Grays harbor county. Determined rain or shine I was headed out the door. It ended up being nice most of the day the little raining it did evaporated right off me as I picked away, though it does make things slick standing on that siltstone. Arrived at spot 1 at about 10:30 nobody had been there since last week when I picked the heck out of it.

spot.jpg

Funny how you can pick a spot and seemingly run out of siltstone that wants to give way for ya then ya take a week off go back and your pulling big chunks out again. spot 1 is a pretty well known area in the woods though it is tough picking. The siltstone here doesnt dry out throughly enough between rains so it doesnt erode very fast. Below is a pic of the first of three I would find

concinmatrix.jpg

Thursday I was very lucky and went away from that spot with three large crab concretions after moving a ton of siltstone. later I wood find out only two had crabs but there were nice ones! Worth it.

3concspot1.jpg

While digging for crabs I came acrossed a nice example of who knows what the heck this is plant. Its about a foot long. "Who knows what the heck this is" is a quite common Occurrence for me that includes many different unknown species in the lincoln creek formation for that matter all over the place. Enjoy

flora.jpg

After a I guzzled a half gallon of gatorade and ate my lunch I headed to spot two. Its not well known and can be just a little hazardous. Loose rock overhead you cant get to but would love to falling down periodically, and a really tempting ledge that could produce a nice fall and being buried only to be dug up in 28 million years by future Paleontologist looking for the elusive but precious beer can.

Spent most of my day at spot two because the crabs I find here have such awesome color. Ended up with two blisters, a blood blister, another smashed finger, dehydration, exhaustion, and over all happiness as I found eight crab concretions there on Thursday. Two crabs I found as float were already exposed.

spot2concs.jpg

This morning I cracked them all open and ended up with three really nice specimens and the rest are so so. only one concretion was a blank. a very productive trip for me overall.

crackedconcs.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

Boy your are craby! Anyways, the strange thing almost looks like a Sea slug doesn't it? OR maybe a bristled sea worm? I really have no idea. Is it deffinitely plant?

Wow!! Hey Micropterus, seeing those concretions with your hammer really brings back some good memories. That plant thing looks purty dang cool too! I used to hunt KM mountain before DOT closed it off! Used to get some good crabs there, Porter used to be a good spot too, and brooklyn too!! I wish I could have been there with you!! I havent hunted for crab balls since 2005, but what a trip that was! I even got a double Longusorbis coniculosus in Canada, but most of the stuff I found I still have to prep. Heck, I still have to find out which box they are in? Even got some of those little Paleopinnixa crabs too, those being soooo damed small, may be a bit tuff to prep. Anyways, here is a pic of some crab balls from different locals and different states including Canada.

RB

post-171-1207872263_thumb.jpg

Great crabs, and what a good day you had!

I don't know much about plants, having never found one, but your mystery fossil reminds me of some kind of bug.

I could be wrong though.

Welcome to the forum!

looks like you got some great crabs, cant wait to see them prepped out! I love crab fossils but we dont have any here in Alberta :( but we do have some real nice lobsters/crayfish! :)

Wow!! Hey Micropterus, seeing those concretions with your hammer really brings back some good memories. That plant thing looks purty dang cool too! I used to hunt KM mountain before DOT closed it off! Used to get some good crabs there, Porter used to be a good spot too, and brooklyn too!! I wish I could have been there with you!! I havent hunted for crab balls since 2005, but what a trip that was! I even got a double Longusorbis coniculosus in Canada, but most of the stuff I found I still have to prep. Heck, I still have to find out which box they are in? Even got some of those little Paleopinnixa crabs too, those being soooo damed small, may be a bit tuff to prep. Anyways, here is a pic of some crab balls from different locals and different states including Canada.

RB

Hey RJB I keep hearing about that double you found, how's bout you post a pic of it so I can finally see it. who cares if it's not prepped yet, you can post more pics when it's done! I'm headed out to the island in less than 2 weeks. I'll be at shelter point with jwho looking for longi's and havin a beer, we'll have one for you two :D

Hey RJB I keep hearing about that double you found, how's bout you post a pic of it so I can finally see it. who cares if it's not prepped yet, you can post more pics when it's done! I'm headed out to the island in less than 2 weeks. I'll be at shelter point with jwho looking for longi's and havin a beer, we'll have one for you two :D

Hey Bone digger dude. Youve been to shelter point. You already know how difficult it is to chisle those damed concretions out of the limestone. While we were walking back with our pack fulls of crab concs, I just happen to notice an ablonged shaped concretion that someone had already chiseled out and just left it. I yelled over to where Skip was and asked him if these oblongs were worth busting open. He told me, sarcastically "yeah, they got doubles in them". Being a very long day, and very tired, I still decided to try and pop it open. I picked it up, went over to a big rock, Jayson and skip came over to watch, and about the 3rd really hard whack, it popped open and there were two Longusorbis coniculosis crabs sittin side by side with plenty of room for the legs. Those local buys just about pooped their pants!!! HA!!! So someday I will have one heck of a nice double crab specimen! Now how cool is that?!!! But I cant show a picture, I dont have one. I have to find it first.

RB

Archived