Magical Mystery Tour - Fossils of the UK

Yoda

So, I thought I would start a similar thread to the "Fossil from Each of the 50 States" thread. 

But one for the UK. 

Show a fossil from each county in the UK - England,(48), Wales (22), Scotland (33) & Ireland. And for Ireland, we can include Northern (6)  and Southern (26). 

Edited by Yoda
  • Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Here's one from Ashton Keynes, Wiltshire. A Cadoceras sublaeve ø 8.5cm.  from the Dairy Farm quarry. Calloviense zone, Early Callovian, Middle Jurassic.

A1204a.1.thumb.jpg.0825227dae14b1315fe0c8a038e9bafa.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

My favorite UK fossil is Ogygiocarella debuchii  from the Middle Ordovician of West Shropshire. This classic trilobite has a whimsical and historical past: widely known as the legendary "Flat Fish" described by Edward Lhwyd in the 1698 volume of "The Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society", the oldest scientific journal in the English language. Ogygiocarella debuchii  also has the grand distinction as the first published illustration of a trilobite. Lhwyd's stone figure submissions included this delightful description: "The 15th whereof we found great Plenty, must doubtless be referred to the Sceleton [sic] of some Flat Fish..."   The basis of Lhwyd's theory for the origin of fossils began with mists and vapours of the sea that became impregnated with the 'seed' of marine animals. After traveling a considerable distance, these 'invisible animacula' were sown deep within the Earth and cast as stone. The incredible disparity of knowledge 300 years ago does not make me wish for those good old days! Amazingly, 170 years later, the name "trilobite" would finally be coined into the official lexicon of invertebrate paleontology.

image.thumb.png.3ae23f847c3801b917c40d18f1f3b005.png

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png