New Baryonychinae Find from Spain Announced Today

Troodon

A Spanish association announced today a find of a new Baryonychine.

Dario Estraviz Lopez said "its going to be a new Iberian Spinosaurid almost as complete as the holotype of Baryonyx."

Very cool and might provide more insights into these dinosaurs.

Screenshot_20230324_152248_Twitter.thumb.jpg.0eca30b32e8402c2c0b236e37118b86a.jpg

Screenshot_20230324_152228_Twitter.thumb.jpg.f17c7525f189547cf0aa2c698c57b97f.jpg

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 1

24 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Nice, anything known were it has been found? Looks very promising 

Not much info on twitter need to wait till the paper drops maybe next year

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...

I didn't see this topic before...well...just for your information, we're gonna resume the excavation next week. As of now, we've got parts of all the skeleton, so the dinosaur is rather complete. For sure, this theropod is one of most complete spino, if not the most, in Europe. Strikingly, in La Rioja (Spain) all the theropods we have found to date are Spinosaurids.

• Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, gms said:

I didn't see this topic before...well...just for your information, we're gonna resume the excavation next week. As of now, we've got parts of all the skeleton, so the dinosaur is rather complete. For sure, this theropod is one of most complete spino, if not the most, in Europe. Strikingly, in La Rioja (Spain) all the theropods we have found to date are Spinosaurids.

Great, thank you

Appreciate any information you can provide moving forward.  

• 2 weeks later...

And here we go...excavations ongoing. So far so good, new material has appeared that is completing this spinosaurid (tibia, vetebrae, pes and carpal phalanx, dentary etc). Perhaps the most complete european spinosaurid right now: local media(in Spanish)

https://www.tvr.es/nuevo-dinosaurio-20230705142718-vi.html?fbclid=IwAR3c_oRIu1_W-6wrsHFXUF3dX2tq4mgGsLcAZCP3Ysh7Gw6UQyv-peMMh6Q

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Just a quick update. We've finished excavations with great success. I have no words to express my feelings.

Additional info about this awesome discovery we've made in Spain: Local press media (in Spanish)

IMG-20230705-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230705-WA0003.jpg

• Enjoyed 2