kirkjeremiah23

Found some suspected Basilosaurus material today.  Buudy found a large vert. I found this partial rib bone. Cant complain!!

20230326_170005.jpg

20230326_165644.jpg

Edited by kirkjeremiah23
  • Enjoyed 1

I am assuming Eocene deposits somewhere within the Southeastern United States?

• Enjoyed 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

8 hours ago, MikeR said:

I am assuming Eocene deposits somewhere within the Southeastern United States?

You would be correct

The echinoid is interesting.  Possibly Weisbordella cubae.  A pic of the oral surface (underside would confirm).  It is a very common echinoid in the Ocala Limestone, rare within the Tivola Limestone in Georgia.

On the bone fragment, are there any tooth sockets to confirm jaw?  If rib, more than likely you can't determine as Basilosaurus, but Archaeocete is likely.

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Just now, MikeR said:

The echinoid is interesting.  Possibly Weisbordella cubae.  A pic of the oral surface (underside would confirm).  It is a very common echinoid in the Ocala Limestone, rare within the Tivola Limestone in Georgia.

On the bone fragment, are there any tooth sockets to confirm jaw?  If rib, more than likely you can't determine as Basilosaurus, but Archaeocete is likely.

I just read your post again so yes rib is not diagnostic, however if you can post a pic of the vertebra, that is diagnostic and can determine whether Basilosarus or Durodon.