Giant beaver upper incisor chunk? Peace River Florida ID help, please and thanks!

Amarykah

Hey everyone! I found an exciting array of unusual things in the river today. At first I thought I had a baby sloth tooth, but after some research I believe it’s a giant beaver incisor! @Meganeura you posted something that HAS to be the same as what I found. But can anyone explain why mine has a hole down the center? The shape looks like a sloth tooth to me but the enamel says it’s not sloth, right? Looking for ID confirmation as well as explanation for this hole :) thank you! …And disregard the sand and dirt still in my nails haha it was a fun day! (Let me know if measurements or better/more pics are needed)

B019D090-B02F-4C79-A4F5-1BCD274F8E31.jpeg

3A75A2AD-6E7F-4DF7-9AE5-78396F13F1FB.jpeg

F43C1214-6590-40D1-A444-B9D31253F05E.jpeg

3418458D-08FF-4D7E-8811-48DF76843888.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Yep, that’s a capybara incisor tooth! The hole, I believe, is due to new teeth slowly filling in the dentine inside teeth (Starting off hollow when unerupted) - so this would be a more juvenile capybara. Note: this is just my understanding of mammal teeth in general - I’m not entirely sure if that applies to teeth like this. @Harry Pristis @Shellseeker might have more input to give. 

• I found this Informative 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

1 minute ago, Meganeura said:

Yep, that’s a capybara incisor tooth! The hole, I believe, is due to new teeth slowly filling in the dentine inside teeth (Starting off hollow when unerupted) - so this would be a more juvenile capybara. Note: this is just my understanding of mammal teeth in general - I’m not entirely sure if that applies to teeth like this. @Harry Pristis @Shellseeker might have more input to give. 

I was adding them as you replied to me :) thanks! It’s the first capybara tooth I’ve found! And now I’m hoping it’s juvenile! That makes it twice as special for some reason :) 

• Enjoyed 1

Ontogeny is probably not involved here.  These incisors are hypselodont -- ever-growing -- so the pulp cavity doesn't extend into the erupted portion of the tooth.  If this is a section of capybara incisor, it is unlikely that it was ever part of the erupted portion.

beaver_incisors.JPG.11c31f01ec984ca4a55d6a2732ce128f.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

12 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Ontogeny is probably not involved here.  These incisors are hypselodont -- ever-growing -- so the pulp cavity doesn't extend into the erupted portion of the tooth.  If this is a section of capybara incisor, it is unlikely that it was ever part of the erupted portion.

beaver_incisors.JPG.11c31f01ec984ca4a55d6a2732ce128f.JPG

So can I deduce that I likely have an unerupted chunk of Holme’s capybara incisor and NOT likely a juvenile? Mine measures 10.4mm on the side that I believe is the front.