Chancelloriid from China?

Mochaccino

Hello,

Could I get an identification for this fossil from the Cambrian of Yunnan, China? It was described as a "Chancelloria", but I don't know if that specific genus is described from this locality and the sclerites aren't star-shaped. It may be a related Chancelloriid, and it seems there are several described from China. My best guess is something like Allonia:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316342674_Chancelloriid_Allonnia_erjiensis_sp_nov_from_the_Chengjiang_Lagerstatte_of_South_China

http://www.paulselden.net/uploads/7/5/3/2/7532217/zhaoetal2018small.pdf

I wish I could get higher-res photos of the sclerites but unfortunately I don't have a camera besides my phone.

PS. Also, what could that grey+orange conical object next to the Chancelloriid be? Part of a trilobite genal spine?

IMG-5923.thumb.jpg.3faea7dc05f0bf5b5e432d357766f271.jpgIMG-5922.thumb.jpg.ed13c529e81aa72d11988f55a9e60b17.jpgIMG-5921.thumb.jpg.836335338f10f8f923c547a61ff5f28d.jpgIMG-5920.thumb.jpg.7a2e4a9857fc295a73ef6520f0980c6f.jpgIMG-5919.thumb.jpg.5681f0d9d60fbec68dac2d35e3d914d1.jpgIMG-5918.thumb.jpg.67ccef224e9d9284e921e08cc1590d21.jpg

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 1

your assessment is not unreasonable("chancellorid scleritome")

Extreme closeups of sclerites might be the order of the day here

for your(and others') benefit and/or enjoyment:

Biomineralization of the Cambrian chancelloriids: Geology, v. 49, p. 623–628,

(edit:size about 4,6 MB) 

Yunetal2021Chancelloriidbiomineralization.pdf

Edited by doushantuo

That specimen looks familiar... Have I seen it recently?  :zzzzscratchchin:

Good question.... I don't know all the Chengjiang Chancelloriids but if Chancelloria has star-shaped sclerites, then I would assume Allonia until more info came along. (I'm sure it's not Nidelric, that one is rather different.)

• I found this Informative 1

I think it will be hard to identify without knowing the shape of the sclerites. Also, do you know exactly what biota it came out of? There are numerous in the Yunnan area.

22 hours ago, doushantuo said:

your assessment is not unreasonable("chancellorid scleritome")

Extreme closeups of sclerites might be the order of the day here

for your(and others') benefit and/or enjoyment:

Biomineralization of the Cambrian chancelloriids: Geology, v. 49, p. 623–628,

(edit:size about 4,6 MB) 

Yunetal2021Chancelloriidbiomineralization.pdf 4.58 MB · 2 downloads

19 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

That specimen looks familiar... Have I seen it recently?  :zzzzscratchchin:

Good question.... I don't know all the Chengjiang Chancelloriids but if Chancelloria has star-shaped sclerites, then I would assume Allonia until more info came along. (I'm sure it's not Nidelric, that one is rather different.)

14 hours ago, connorp said:

I think it will be hard to identify without knowing the shape of the sclerites. Also, do you know exactly what biota it came out of? There are numerous in the Yunnan area.

Thank you. Perhaps it might have to be Allonia sp. until I can get a close-up view of the sclerites. The biota/formation I'm told is the Cambrian Wulongqing Formation from Gaoloufang, Kunming, Yunnan, China.