Fullux

I found this Favosites turbinatus today while fossil hunting in Louisville, Kentucky. The problem is it was mixed in with Ordovician age fossils such as Hebertella occidentalis and Platystrophia ponderosa. The area was very eroded and it could have just been jumbled up with the other fossils. Do you think this is what it is?

20230330_114552.jpg

Cropped, rotated,  and contrasted.

20230330_114552.jpg.692f88e430fbd7f4aad29f67901f5cfe.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I don't think it is Favosites. Maybe something like Foerstephyllum. I would go further to guess Foerstephyllum vacuum, but that is hard to confirm without a clearer close up of the corallites. It can be found with the species of brachiopods that you mentioned in certain Upper Ordovician formations here. It depends on where you found it (what formation).

BTW... The genus Platystrophia was changed to Vinlandostrophia;) 

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Also, I don’t think we have met. I see your location is Kentucky.  Hello from E-town. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Here's some better pictures I got after cleaning it. I didn't find it in a particular formation, but where I found it is about 35 minutes away from the Falls of the Ohio, in Broad Run Park.

20230331_105209.jpg

20230331_105147.jpg

On 3/30/2023 at 3:52 PM, FossilNerd said:

I don't think it is Favosites. Maybe something like Foerstephyllum. I would go further to guess Foerstephyllum vacuum, but that is hard to confirm without a clearer close up of the corallites. It can be found with the species of brachiopods that you mentioned in certain Upper Ordovician formations here. It depends on where you found it (what formation).

BTW... The genus Platystrophia was changed to Vinlandostrophia;) 

20230331_225628.jpg

20230331_225634.jpg

20230331_225638.jpg

20230331_225643.jpg

20230331_225648.jpg

14 hours ago, Fullux said:

Here's some better pictures I got after cleaning it. I didn't find it in a particular formation, but where I found it is about 35 minutes away from the Falls of the Ohio, in Broad Run Park.

Thanks for the additional photos and information. Very helpful! :thumbsu:

My suspicions were correct. Judging by the location, other fauna found, and close up pictures, you have a fine example of Foerstephullym vacuum. The size, shape, and lack of septa in the corallites all point to this identification. 

Another confirming point is that The Drakes Formation is found in Broad Run Park. The Drakes Formation is well known for F. vacuum. and the other brachiopods you previously mentioned. It is Upper Ordovician in age.

• I found this Informative 3

9 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Thanks for the additional photos and information. Very helpful! :thumbsu:

My suspicions were correct. Judging by the location, other fauna found, and close up pictures, you have a fine example of Foerstephullym vacuum. The size, shape, and lack of septa in the corallites all point to this identification. 

Another confirming point is that The Drakes Formation is found in Broad Run Park. The Drakes Formation is well known for F. vacuum. and the other brachiopods you previously mentioned. It is Upper Ordovician in age.

First time hearing of the Drakes Formation, thanks for the info!

Done quite a lot of collecting there and I'm thinking of planting my career in paleontology there.

This F. vacuum is just under 25 pounds, 12 inches long, and 10 inches across. We didn't have any bags or anything to carry it with cause we only thought we would be finding small brachiopods and things. So I just had to carry it in my arms for a mile until we got back to our truck. Over all it was a great day and I'm very happy that I found it.

Thanks for your help!

1680361766757368876444508417245.jpg

16803618130291056471933661176307.jpg

1 hour ago, Fullux said:

First time hearing of the Drakes Formation, thanks for the info!

Done quite a lot of collecting there and I'm thinking of planting my career in paleontology there.

This F. vacuum is just under 25 pounds, 12 inches long, and 10 inches across. We didn't have any bags or anything to carry it with cause we only thought we would be finding small brachiopods and things. So I just had to carry it in my arms for a mile until we got back to our truck. Over all it was a great day and I'm very happy that I found it.

Thanks for your help!

1680361766757368876444508417245.jpg

16803618130291056471933661176307.jpg

You are very welcome! I'm always happy to help. :) 

I feel your pain on packing the 25lb coral a mile back to the truck. Been there, done that, and more than once! :default_faint:

I've collected at a couple of different exposures of the The Drakes Formation and it never disappoints! As your haul can attest. Very nice! I see multiple species of Vinlandostrophia (not just V. ponderosa) there. Some of the smaller pieces of coral are also F. vacuum. You are seeing the internal structure. A few solitary rugose (aka Horn Coral) as well. A lot of other goodies too. Congrats!

The Drakes Formation was my first love as well. It was the first formation that I familiarized myself with. These days I'm more into the local Carboniferous exposures that can be found closer to my house, but I still find myself in the Drakes at least once or twice a year. The Ordovician is just too good to ignore and it occasionally calls me back to my roots :) .  

If you happed to find yourself in a layer that is packed with a lot of large coral heads, you may be in the basal unit of the Preachersville Member of the Drakes Formation. It's commonly called the "Otter Creek Coral Bed" or the "Bardstown Reef". Depending on where the exposure is found and who you talk to.

Also the Drakes Formation is the newer nomenclature, which are shown below in a diagram from the linked paper. That may be why you have not heard of it. Many people call the formation by older names or by the generic names I listed above. 

Link to a pdf paper about the Otter Creek Coral Bed that you may find helpful:

https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1244f/report.pdf

image.png.9abe339f0da05eb5c4a65f2a6fa64870.png  

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1