Dinosaur Bone Fossils from the Isle of Wight

Dimetrodon

Hello,

I recently visited the Isle of Wight and was lucky enough to find some beach rolled dinosaur bones.

The majority have been heavily worn by the sea and are likely to be unidentifiable.  I do recognise one of the bones as a tail vertebra (photos 2-5), however, and I wondered if someone with more experience on the forum would be kind enough to tell be which dinosaur it is likely to have belonged to (Iguanodon?)?

I would also be grateful for any suggestions as to which part of the skeleton the larger bone might have belonged to in photos 6-9 (the same fossil from different angles).

Many thanks,

W

DSC_0395.JPG

DSC_0398.JPG

DSC_0417.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

DSC_0415.JPG

DSC_0407.JPG

DSC_0409.JPG

DSC_0408.JPG

DSC_0410.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Here are some more photos of fossils from Brighstone Bay, the Isle of Wight.

DSC_0411.JPG

DSC_0406.JPG

DSC_0399.JPG

DSC_0400.JPG

DSC_0402.JPG

DSC_0427.JPG

DSC_0428.JPG

DSC_0429.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Hmm I’m not sure anything is identifiable other than the vertebra though others may spot something as for the vertebra it compares pretty well with iguanodon but no promises! :) 

• Thank You 1

Just an fyi if that caudal vertebra is an iguanodont the only one in the IOW is Mantellisaurus atherfieldensis

• Enjoyed 1

Thank you, both, very much for your feedback.  I think it probably did belong to an Iguanodon but it's useful to get a second opinion.

That's quite a trove! I've been to IoW a few times myself, but never ended up finding anything much. Most of it may be unidentifiable, but I'd still consider it a very successful trip, if I'd have found this much! :default_clap2:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thank you, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon.  A couple of the finds were from a trip I made the in 2021, but I was very lucky on my recent visit.  It is a beautiful island to go to, particularly the South West.

Nice haul. :D Seems like you must have an eye for spotting these!

• Thank You 1

:star:

Wishing you a merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah, and a joyful holiday season!

🎄   🕎   🎁