Site Prospecting 101

Uncle Siphuncle

99% of the site prospecting here in South Jersey,at least for me, involves tromping up and down streams looking for places where the stream may have cut into a formation, checking the gravel bars for fossils and sifting the stream bed, the 1% left would be checking construction sites which seem to be really difficult anymore to get into. Back in the mid 80's they were doing construction to build a small industrial park and started turning up thousands of fossils,mostly teeth, when they dug the drainage basins, then just this year they started doing a huge construction job maybe 500 yards away from where the basins were dug but when I went to check it out they had fenced the whole site off and posted No Trespassing signs everywhere, it was frustrating but no use getting mad about it and I just moved on to my next site to prospect

OK Dan. I thought that that could be that, but I was not sure of it.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 8 months later...

I find it helpful to Google search on a specific formation name (new and old) and key words like "stratigraphy, type locality, petrology" or the like. It seems like there are more papers and theses on these topics than fossils or paleontology. Kevin

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to say Thank You for this posting. I have a small collection I've gathered over the years but I'm still just a novice when it comes to understanding the science of the hunt. I've learned a lot from this site and I appreciate how you guys are always wiling to share your knowledge and help the new guys. Thanks again.

Finding virgin sites can be hard work at times but it is quite rewarding to go out and make something happen on your own, rather than rely on second hand information to past prime sites.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I also want to thank you are all the info here. I have found a couple of virgin sites....I look on google maps/terrain and then go aerial. If there is anything there, I zoom in and take a closer look. If it looks promising, I go scout it out. Might sound strange, but it works. :)

Kathy

• 2 years later...

Dan,

Thank you so much for writing these articles, they have helped me greatly in finding new sites. I had my first prospecting success recently by using your advice coupled with some notes from a new hunting buddy. Now i can't keep my head out of the maps. Feel free to write more, I'm sure many would read, enjoy and benefit from them as I have.

Thanks again,

Jason