Shellseeker

3 hour hunt Saturday morning.  The sun was brutal. On the walk back to the cars with half full buckets, stopped 6 times  I love this hobby

Saw 4 friends who all were much more interested in Shells, echinoderms, corals than  the fossils I normally find. It was good to get together and talk about fossils I used to hunt and occasionally do now.

IMG_9365ce.thumb.jpg.568518c7b92a8ab3ff06f0e38f71116b.jpgIMG_9366ce.thumb.jpg.ed577a845a0410aafdc44c9c7c3d1d8a.jpgIMG_9370ce.thumb.jpg.e83d6b2c92b112067ad3017b7bdde88b.jpg

IMG_9389.thumb.JPG.1e4b412cc7252c090a098b53e1ccc301.JPGIMG_9394.thumb.JPG.8cf4820445f113540f29c4f9fefa3058.JPGIMG_9393.thumb.JPG.18d6c9506a2b7c4e0f1a82ea1a19d050.JPGIMG_9390.thumb.JPG.fd80ff0fa0e7b40f338b1fbf21dc56cd.JPGIMG_9392.thumb.JPG.9261540247def63380b285527f6e44ea.JPG

Note on this last photo, the tiny murex.  You have to be careful.  Lots of little shells are washed out of the mud and crevices of larger shells. 

In the early afternoon, after sitting in air conditioned pickup truck,  drink ice water,  and soothing my back,   I drove to the Peace River.  I had not brought swim shorts,  so I stripped down to my blue genes and went swimming for an hour.   Pure heaven...

I have a lot of work ahead..  Some of these I know but not the majority.. and even the ones I know like the large Apple Murex in my hand might have a different name back in the Pliocene_Pleistocene.

Enjoy.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 17

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks like it was an excellent trip.  I wish I had been able to come this year, but I had too many work commitments to take the time off.  Hopefully the FPS will have a trip in the Fall.

Don

35 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

3 hour hunt Saturday morning.  The sun was brutal. On the walk back to the cars with half full buckets, stopped 6 times  I love this hobby

Saw 4 friends who all were much more interested in Shells, echinoderms, corals than  the fossils I normally find. It was good to get together and talk about fossils I used to hunt and occasionally do now.IMG_9365ce.thumb.jpg.568518c7b92a8ab3ff06f0e38f71116b.jpgIMG_9366ce.thumb.jpg.ed577a845a0410aafdc44c9c7c3d1d8a.jpgIMG_9370ce.thumb.jpg.e83d6b2c92b112067ad3017b7bdde88b.jpg

IMG_9389.thumb.JPG.1e4b412cc7252c090a098b53e1ccc301.JPGIMG_9394.thumb.JPG.8cf4820445f113540f29c4f9fefa3058.JPGIMG_9393.thumb.JPG.18d6c9506a2b7c4e0f1a82ea1a19d050.JPGIMG_9390.thumb.JPG.fd80ff0fa0e7b40f338b1fbf21dc56cd.JPGIMG_9392.thumb.JPG.9261540247def63380b285527f6e44ea.JPG

Note on this last photo, the tiny murex.  You have to be careful.  Lots of little shells are washed out of the mud and crevices of larger shells. 

In the early afternoon, after sitting in air conditioned pickup truck,  drink ice water,  and soothing my back,   I drove to the Peace River.  I had not brought swim shorts,  so I stripped down to my blue genes and went swimming for an hour.   Pure heaven...

I have a lot of work ahead..  Some of these I know but not the majority.. and even the ones I know like the large Apple Murex in my hand might have a different name back in the Pliocene_Pleistocene.

Enjoy.

It’s awesome to see the various shells you can find here! I think eventually I’m going to have to start finding some, as well as some echinoids, but… that’ll have to wait till I have more room for fossils. 

I especially love the tiny little murex though!

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Looks like it was an excellent trip.  I wish I had been able to come this year, but I had too many work commitments to take the time off.  Hopefully the FPS will have a trip in the Fall.

Don

We had a lot of fun Don.  It is my opportunity get reacquainted with friends I had not seen for more than a years. and I really understand the distance to the Florida _ Georgia border.. We'll see you next time

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Meganeura said:

It’s awesome to see the various shells you can find here! I think eventually I’m going to have to start finding some, as well as some echinoids, but… that’ll have to wait till I have more room for fossils. 

I especially love the tiny little murex though!

I find the variety within a Genus amazing. and many of these shells are gorgeous.

I can tell you that it is very difficult choosing what to hunt,  what to collect.  I had a large collection of SW Florida modern seashells,  then barely got into fossil seashells,  before I discovered the Peace River.

I have yet to identify that small murex.

Here is a shell I found yesterday  It came from Plio_Pleistocene layers.. I first discovered it as the modern descendant, a Rose Murex hunting the beaches of Sanibel.

Vokesimurex_rubidusText.thumb.jpg.fe04f792019d5850c8512e5ee705c326.jpg

I am sure it was "rose" colored while living,  but the fossil acquired the bluish coloring of its surroundings.

• Enjoyed 3

Hi,

Jack, all these shells are marvelous ! :wub: You live in a very prolific state, what luck !

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Jack, all these shells are marvelous ! :wub: You live in a very prolific state, what luck !

Coco

Exactly,  Coco!!!  I feel very fortunate...

I was born/raised in New England,  Connecticut ,  which has a few fossils compared to the Western US.

I was however entranced by Museums of Natural History,  mostly focused on Dinosaurs.  As part of my job,  I moved 1st to Florida in 1987,  then to Texas in 1995, and then decided to retire to Florida's Gulf Coast in 2007.  My hobby was hunting modern seashells,  this my handle Shellseeker.  In 2008,  Climate change drastically reduced the number of modern seashells I was finding and I switched ..... to fossil seashells and the Peace River...

I did not , at the time realize how prolific the State of Florida was.... As you say... what Luck !!!:yay-smiley-1:

• Enjoyed 6

Great Post Jack- Peace River stuff is cool, but nothing compares to the fossil shells from Florida.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Nice haul Jack!

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Florida's Pliocene/Pleistocene mollusk fauna is exceptionally interesting and magnificent to behold. Congratulations on your spectacular finds and thanks for sharing. You're giving me many reasons to come down and pay this state a fossil hunting visit. 

• I Agree 1

Hello Jack! Looks like a spot just as rewarding as the Peace River!!! Sadly, I truly miss not coming to Florida this year but can at least enjoy  the "experience" through your trip reports. I am assuming, based on MikeR's post that this was a Florida Paleontological Society's field trip. Happy hunting. Oh, by the way, my final Red Cross certification  in national disaster response has arrived, 7 months late. So if, God forbid, another hurricane disaster occurs, I can help you and your community out! 

Mike 

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

On 4/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, Misha said:

Beautiful shells! looks like it was pretty diverse ecosystem, that got preserved very well!

Very diverse.... The photos do not provide a lot of detail.  There are seashell everywhere, any time I look down, I can see hundreds !!! It is a matter of selection... what will you pick up... leaving almost perfect shells laying there because you can not possibly carry everything...

Many are broken, but many are not.... Likely when they were laid down in the Miocene-Pliocene-Pleistocene seas,  there was little there to break them.... and what I can tell,  the modern machinery has little effect .

• Enjoyed 4

23 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Florida's Pliocene/Pleistocene mollusk fauna is exceptionally interesting and magnificent to behold. Congratulations on your spectacular finds and thanks for sharing. You're giving me many reasons to come down and pay this state a fossil hunting visit. 

This was special because it was under the auspices of the Florida Paleontology Society, which is what facilitates access to the quarry which is actually a thriving business in South Florida. However,  there are shells everywhere where there is any construction.... On the Sanibel Causeway, they continually bring in early Pleistocene shell, sand mixes to fill the beach and construction and that type of event is repeated constantly across the state.

5 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Hello Jack! Looks like a spot just as rewarding as the Peace River!!! Sadly, I truly miss not coming to Florida this year but can at least enjoy  the "experience" through your trip reports. I am assuming, based on MikeR's post that this was a Florida Paleontological Society's field trip. Happy hunting. Oh, by the way, my final Red Cross certification  in national disaster response has arrived, 7 months late. So if, God forbid, another hurricane disaster occurs, I can help you and your community out! 

Mike 

I love seeing you, Mike.  Your natural smile,  generous nature,  and love of life  always makes our adventures spectacular.  Good things happen when we get together.

IMG_0981crop.jpg.80c44631bd1e01a0ce4ddd57172f4b3b.jpg

IMG_0991crop.thumb.jpg.6671b9a30ec65c5ea136c8f9d337f63c.jpg

This was FPS.  Just saunter in the sunshine for 3 hours...

I am sure there will be more than a few Natural disasters that will appreciate your talents. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Very diverse.... The photos do not provide a lot of detail.  There are seashell everywhere, any time I look down, I can see hundreds !!! It is a matter of selection... what will you pick up... leaving almost perfect shells laying there because you can not possibly carry everything...

Many are broken, but many are not.... Likely when they were laid down in the Miocene-Pliocene-Pleistocene seas,  there was little there to break them.... and what I can tell,  the modern machinery has little effect .

I can fix this, I have a solution for you : I can never go to Florida, much to my regret. Then you can make me a big box and send it to me... So you will regret less leaving all these beautiful shells abandoned on the spot ! :default_rofl: :heartylaugh:

Mike and Jack, you make a great team ! :Smiling:

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:

I can fix this, I have a solution for you : I can never go to Florida, much to my regret. Then you can make me a big box and send it to me... So you will regret less leaving all these beautiful shells abandoned on the spot ! :default_rofl: :heartylaugh:

Mike and Jack, you make a great team ! :Smiling:

Coco

Coco,

There are lots of magic things that would have to happen,  BUT we never know the future....

1) I would have to go more frequently.... which means I would have to figure out access to these fantastic locations.  Monthly or even weekly !!! :JC_doubleup:  I LIKE that idea....

2) I would have to exercise and lose weight in order to carry  5 gallon buckets full of shells out of the quarry to the car location.

3) Given the state of the world's economy ,  you would have to pay postage but the shells would be free.  After all, I am not in business to make money...

These are tough challenges, but as I say we never know...

Note , for those who wonder what the photo of Mike and I after meeting for lunch has to do with the Mastodon tooth.  The place we met for lunch was closer to the Peace River,   so after lunch,  I decided to go hunting fossils.  Within an hour after the photo with Mike, I found the Mastodon.

• Enjoyed 3

Spectacular mastodon tooth. Could you post pictures with different angles and scale for size? I am intrigued by the color. Thanks in advance!

Very, very nice!  The ornamentation of the Florida gastropods, wow!

I have had only one opportunity, and only for 2-3 hrs to collect down there. But it was so much fun! So muddy... 

• I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

On 4/6/2023 at 10:02 PM, AK hiker said:

Spectacular mastodon tooth. Could you post pictures with different angles and scale for size? I am intrigued by the color. Thanks in advance!

The size in 4.5 L x 4.5 H x 3.5 W inches,  12.5 x 12.4 x 8.9 cm.. It has changed color significantly since I took pictures on the hood of my pickup 15 minutes after finding it.

IMG_0990.thumb.JPEG.737ce82696387c575f824de5154f1535.JPEGIMG_9609.thumb.JPG.89f0a5501543c8c57cde9e932d77f419.JPG

9 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Very, very nice!  The ornamentation of the Florida gastropods, wow!

I have had only one opportunity, and only for 2-3 hrs to collect down there. But it was so much fun! So muddy... 

Definitely agree... Each time the 3 hours in more than enough and a Lot of fun.... Plus I just love the size and design of the fossils I find...

image2inBlack.png.1255aea9c1e82179b59ca9b37b69be12.png

• Enjoyed 3

I have come back to this thread because I am finishing up on my draft for the Newsletter on this trip.  You can read the previous Newsletter for a field trip to this site on November 21st, 2021.   here

https://floridapaleosociety.com/newsletter-archive/

I solicit and prepare a small set of finds (13 in this instance) during the field trip for Newsletter Publication.

xScreenshortSelectedShells.jpg.6de8c1c6c254e6ee7155b97509cc1b29.jpg

Time, Time,  always about time.  If I have some time,  I will start a Gallery album for these with some more detail. I have some favorites... This 21mm Calliostoma willcoxianum  I found. While out hunting, I am like the blind squirrel,  stumbling on an acorn every once in a while. It i not easy for me to ID these because there are so many all that seem very similar.

188069046_Calliostomawillcoxianum_2cm.jpg.3e18f171bbf35bd7ec16c2d3cdcd1c53.jpg

and this one another FPS member found: The coral is Septastrea marylandica,  but there is a likely Strombus hidden inside.

912227248_Septastreamarylandica.thumb.jpeg.f900a412b5057eb381ce305105d60e12.jpeg

Oh well,  Just noted that I mis_spelled Strombus in "Stombus Leidyi" .  Fortunately , I have some more days to spellcheck and proof read.  Enjoy.

• Enjoyed 4