Mazon Creek Pit 11... with kids!

Lady_Sif

My family (kids 4, 7 and 10) attempted our first foray for Mazon Creek fossils last week. We had a blast! Took it slow, explored the lay of the land and came back with around 300 concretions to freeze/thaw. Definitely a more ideal time of year to go with young kids, easier to see paths/where we were going and keep track of everyone, only one tick and no poison ivy etc. to worry about, just thorns. We ended up derailing onto some deer trails and bushwhacking through, but we also found some fun things that way. Main trails were very easy walking and the kids found enough concretions to stay entertained. GPS tracking was perfect, had whistles, camelbaks backpacks for all but the 4-year-old, snacks and rubber-coated gardening gloves plus a few kid-sized rakes. Permethrin on our clothes and picaridin lotion worked well. Pics below of some open finds (jellies, which for us novices is wonderful! We cleaned them up best we could, some are worn but that doesn't matter to a kid's collection!), then some unknowns. My husband found a great worm (we think!) of some kind. Pics below, and a few unknowns at the end. We spent Friday at the Field Museum to see their Mazon Creek exhibit. We hunted for a half day Wednesday and full day Thursday. A great weekend-type trip as a full week would be too tiring for us all. We will for sure go again, but may stick to spring before poison ivy etc. take hold. I'll update the post later with anything from our freeze/thaw cycles. Started soaking today! Few more pics next post. 

PXL_20230402_125453535.jpg

PXL_20230402_173439912.jpg

PXL_20230402_191755358.jpg

PXL_20230402_173329556.jpg

PXL_20230402_173344255.jpg

PXL_20230402_173358859.jpg

PXL_20230402_173606757.jpg

PXL_20230402_175004221.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230402_174723781.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230402_174833731.jpg

• Enjoyed 11

My daughter enjoyed playing with her "concretion sandwich". Pic of a bunch of likely nothings (?) or eroded specimens. 

PXL_20230331_170347985.jpg

PXL_20230402_175207475.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230329_230247296_MP.jpg

PXL_20230329_210139778_MP.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 13
  • Thank You 1

Some very nice finds -- looks like you got into the "thick stuff" and it payed off. You found much more than I thought you might, and did phenomenally well for your first outing to the Mazon Creek fossils area. All of what you found looks to be "the right stuff", and the last photo is a good example of what you need to do to get the good stuff. If you need any info about freeze/thawing them just ask. Before you begin to freeze, soak them for at least a week.

Good luck. I can see from the photos of the nodules that you will have some nice specimens once they crack open.

P.S. -- The third and fourth photos are very interesting. The third looks like it may be an insect nymph, and the fourth one is a ?????? Wait for a few of the other MC folks on this forum to check them out.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

In the second post, yeah, too weathered to ID with certainty especially from a photo. Some may be possible if held in-hand for ID.

Did I mention that you did incredibly well for your first time to that area? 'Cause you did! :thumbsu:

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Wonderful report! As @Mark Kmiecik mentioned (a few times), this is a great set of finds for a first trip out, and its delightful to see the kids enjoying it as well. 

I believe the most likely ID for your 3rd picture is actually a coprolite- it appears to be pretty "3D" and has a texture typical for those. All the rest of the visible fossils are Essexella, including one from the "maybe nothing" picture- the middle concretion on the right appears to contain one. 

Best of luck with your freeze-thawing, I hope some more interesting things pop out! 

Edited by deutscheben
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Great report, looks like you did great!  I see you also went to the Field museum!  I went this past weekend for the Field, but didnt have time for any hunts.  I got a little sad when I drove over Mazon creek and realized I coudl have also had a hunting day (if I had time)

• Enjoyed 2

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

71F7E143-2C81-47C8-953F-8698D5C008FB.jpeg.c96f1d01d763668ca997a0e82a3a6e52.jpeg

Green one is Essexella, closer pic of one in red might be helpful.

Pic 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 are all Essexella. Unsure on 3 but looks to be something interesting. Nice!

• Thank You 1

@Mark Kmiecik and @deutscheben, thank you! I did a lot of research (this forum and ESCONI are great!) and the kids are used to climbing up the side of slag piles, so it was a challenge we were willing to attempt. Five sets of eyes really helps, too! We are thrilled with our finds already, there were far more open concretions than I thought there would be. We are excited to see what comes of what we hauled out. The kids really did great and want to go again, they now have their sights set on finding a Tully monster someday after seeing it at the Field Museum. Ambitious, but we have time and patience! It was the right time of year to go with kids. Our winter gear was thick and let us just plow through the brush and thorns, and we were able to see easily through the woods. Summer would be so much more challenging in so many ways, I'm not sure we'll attempt that this year. 

The Field Museum was a great tie-in; to kids, there wasn't much that existed before dinosaurs, but being able to walk through their exhibit showed them just how much there could be and where the fossils they found stand in the history of the world. Pretty incredible.

Thank you also greatly for the ID help. I have a lot to learn there yet. Any clue on the bottom three pics of my first post, if those are anything specific please? Perhaps too weathered to tell. The boys are thrilled that the big one is a coprolite, @deutscheben, ha! I'm attaching another pic with a ruler beside it; it was our largest find from under a thorn bush, I belly-crawled for that one! 

Nodules are soaking in buckets, we have a deep freezer when they're ready. I'm planning to let them soak a solid 14 days first based on how dense they are, unless that would be contraindicated. 

@hadrosauridae, thank you so much! I'm glad you could see the Museum too, it is really amazing. Hopefully another trip that direction is in your imminent future and you can stop off to hunt! 

PXL_20230403_203618457.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

@Runner64 Thanks so much! Here are some more pics of the red one; it's super tiny. Also including one I forgot earlier, it's worn but has both sides and really looked to be something different. 

PXL_20230404_023727461.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230404_023733383.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230404_024140633.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230404_024203539.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230404_024226162.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

25 minutes ago, Lady_Sif said:

@Runner64 Thanks so much! Here are some more pics of the red one; it's super tiny. Also including one I forgot earlier, it's worn but has both sides and really looked to be something different. 

PXL_20230404_023727461.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230404_023733383.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230404_024140633.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230404_024203539.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230404_024226162.PORTRAIT.jpg

Nice! I believe both of these are essexella as well.

• Thank You 1

What a great report !!!   Congratulations on your maiden voyage to Pit 11 !! You all did great !!

What an enjoyable week !! Thank you for sharing it with us !!

You guys ROCK !!

Phil

• Thank You 1

@Lady_Sif Thanks for sharing your finds (and your experience taking little ones).  You've inspired me to take my boys (5&2) in a year or two.  

• Enjoyed 1

Wow, you did well!  Especially for a first time! 

I think you already got some good ids... jellies and a coprolite.

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by stats
  • Thank You 1