Unknown fossil from fossil display set bought from National Maritime Museum of China

LDNewts

Hi everyone, I found this really weird fossil from a fossil tooth display set of prehistoric fish and reptiles that I bought from the National Maritime Museum of China. It says that it belongs to Cretalamna appendiculata, but I searched it online and found out that the teeth of Cretalamna appendiculata looked really unlike what I have. Does anyone know which creature does this piece of fossil belong to?

P.S. The display set says that all the fossils are from the phosphate mines of Morocco

Picture one is the piece of fossil that needs identification

IMG_9522.jpg

Picture two are tooth fossils of Cretalamna appendiculata

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 21.15.44.png

4 hours ago, LDNewts said:

Hi everyone, I found this really weird fossil from a fossil tooth display set of prehistoric fish and reptiles that I bought from the National Maritime Museum of China. It says that it belongs to Cretalamna appendiculata, but I searched it online and found out that the teeth of Cretalamna appendiculata looked really unlike what I have. Does anyone know which creature does this piece of fossil belong to?

P.S. The display set says that all the fossils are from the phosphate mines of Morocco

IMG_9522.jpg

Picture two are tooth fossils of Cretalamna appendiculata

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 21.15.44.png

do you know if it is flat or round?

For the moment I would agree with @connorp, Mosasaur-tooth

when you search in the net with prognathodon root morocco you will see some pics of rooted teeth

Edited by rocket
  • Enjoyed 1

My husband has a similar display, which includes a Cretalamna and a Mosasaur.  Here is what they look like on his:

107061816_KIMG52472.thumb.JPG.c5b121adfcc74ba3967b9dee07ebc926.JPG

1175192736_KIMG52482.thumb.JPG.8e07bd98efd836629bbd42cc1ea34b31.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Definitely mosasaur, im thinking either Thalassotitan atrox of Eremiasaurus heterodontus, better pics might help :) 

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, LDNewts said:

IMG_9522.jpg

It's a rooted Gavialimimus almaghribensis mosasaur tooth from the phosphate mines in Morocco. You can identify it from the enamel ridges/striae at the base of the tooth crown that encircle the entire circumference of the tooth.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

11 hours ago, connorp said:

Looks like a mosasaur tooth.

oh, that was what I thought, thanks for helping. 

8 hours ago, rocket said:

do you know if it is flat or round?

For the moment I would agree with @connorp, Mosasaur-tooth

when you search in the net with prognathodon root morocco you will see some pics of rooted teeth

It is round, and I would agree with you that it looks like a rooted mosasaur tooth. Thanks a lot for helping!

18 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

My husband has a similar display, which includes a Cretalamna and a Mosasaur.  Here is what they look like on his:

107061816_KIMG52472.thumb.JPG.c5b121adfcc74ba3967b9dee07ebc926.JPG  1175192736_KIMG52482.thumb.JPG.8e07bd98efd836629bbd42cc1ea34b31.JPG

Yeah, I would say the piece of fossil looked really similar to a rooted mosasaur tooth

3 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

It's a rooted Gavialimimus almaghribensis mosasaur tooth from the phosphate mines in Morocco. You can identify it from the enamel ridges/striae at the base of the tooth crown that encircle the entire circumference of the tooth.

oh, thanks for the help! 

• Enjoyed 1

Here are some better pictures of the fossil. By the way, I forgot to mention that the fossil itself is actually quite small. The last picture shows the size of the fossil compared to tooth fossils of stritolamia striata.

IMG_9523.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 12.35.42.png

IMG_9526.JPG

IMG_9527.JPG

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...