Creek Walking

GRAVELGAZER

MY HUNTING BUDDY AND I ALWAYS WALK A CERTAIN CREEK IN NORTH MISSISSIPPI AFTER HEAVY RAINS. THIS PAST SUNDAY WAS NO EXCEPTION. THE CREEK CUTS THROUGH A 8 TO 10 FOOT SECTION OF PURE GRAVEL.

THIS TIME WE COLLECTED AND FOUND ABOUT 150 POUNDS OF PETRIFIED WOOD. 1 PIECE WAS ABOUT 20 INCHES LONG AND WEIGHED ABOUT 80 POUNDS.IT WAS ALL WE COULD DO TO PICK IT UP AND WADE AND WALK A MILE WITH IT.

ALL WE FIND IS WOOD, NO OTHER TYPES OF FOSSILS AT ALL.

Guest bmorefossil
MY HUNTING BUDDY AND I ALWAYS WALK A CERTAIN CREEK IN NORTH MISSISSIPPI AFTER HEAVY RAINS. THIS PAST SUNDAY WAS NO EXCEPTION. THE CREEK CUTS THROUGH A 8 TO 10 FOOT SECTION OF PURE GRAVEL.

THIS TIME WE COLLECTED AND FOUND ABOUT 150 POUNDS OF PETRIFIED WOOD. 1 PIECE WAS ABOUT 20 INCHES LONG AND WEIGHED ABOUT 80 POUNDS.IT WAS ALL WE COULD DO TO PICK IT UP AND WADE AND WALK A MILE WITH IT.

ALL WE FIND IS WOOD, NO OTHER TYPES OF FOSSILS AT ALL.

congratz on the finds, do you have pictures?

sounds fun! get some pics of your best wood samples!:)

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Northern Mississippi, is it coming out of sandstone? It could be a McNairy deposit, known mostly for petrified wood, but little else. It is a cretaceous exposure.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Sounds like a great time.

Here's a hint for anyone who hunts fossils. looks for gold etc along creeks. Unless they cut deeply through a valley, creeks are often temporary feautures only lasting decades or centuries before changing course. Instead of walking along an obvious creek, try and figure out where the creek 'used to' run. Often previous creek beds offer a lot of 'stuff'.

That heavy piece might have produced a lot of sweat at the time but that just means you appreciate it all the more when you get it home. A fossil with a collecting story is the best type.

Archived