Is this a sabre tooth cat tooth?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I have my eye on something kinda interesting, a sabre-tooth cat tooth! Or at least that what the seller claims these are. They look to be incisors of some sort of large hairy beast I would have wanted to avoid so I am kinda curious if anyone recognizes the morphology. No info beyond "Pleistocene of Africa" unfortunately. First one is about 2.25 inches (so probably about 5.5 cm) and the second is about 2.5 inches (about 6.25 cm).

Thoughts anyone?

cat1.thumb.jpg.b9ce5b8a9fd021d98b18dea0005ef656.jpgcat2.thumb.jpg.c1572e87baa52c9951b3d8e040fa1537.jpgcat3.thumb.jpg.ee60f12dd61cccd0063fe724b79ea457.jpgcat4.thumb.jpg.91bbcea309d02e53fa3692ad0494d6aa.jpgcat5.thumb.jpg.530adba133c3ddd523c896a5061266c7.jpgcat6.thumb.jpg.5c3608ca06fd0edfb1e61a41b72a81c5.jpg

• jikohr changed the title to Is this a sabre tooth cat tooth?

I'm no expert, but I'd say no to saber tooth cat. Even as a juvenile tooth the shape looks very wrong. Photo of Missouri find now at Illinois State Museum (sorry for the quarter for scale - that ISM's image...).

Saber-tooth from Crevice Cave, Perry Co., MO at Illinois State Museum Geology Collections.gif

Edited by Caverat
attribution and scale explanation.

Yeah they aren't typical sabre cat canines. Although I did just find something interesting. Apparently there's this thing called the Scimitar cat, Homotherium latidens, formerly Macairodus latidens that is found in Africa. Here's some pics I found.

1-s2.0-S0016699514000072-gr2.jpg.504a766d8079073a6d19f2f58c0687c1.jpgnumber 5 kinda reminds me of tooth 2

50352508841_ee6220c9e2_k.thumb.jpg.1beb395669fc9df665a61eb8990eba7c.jpg

Note the cusps and note the serrations:

It is said that Saber Cats are the only ones to possess both on their incisors. This is a Xenosmilus incisorDSCN0509serrations.jpg.4fdd64c5df983137dfbbd3d812cabc2f.jpg

This is Homotherium incisor...

DC_2KFDXUAANzgO.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

53 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Note the cusps and note the serrations:

It is said that Saber Cats are the only ones to possess both on their incisors. This is a Xenosmilus incisorDSCN0509serrations.jpg.4fdd64c5df983137dfbbd3d812cabc2f.jpg

This is Homotherium incisor...

DC_2KFDXUAANzgO.jpg

Huh, I knew about the serrations but I've never seen good close ups of sabre tooth incisors to see the cusps. Thanks man!

Yeah the lack of serrations I could attribute to weathering but there's no indication there was ever any cusps on these.

So what do you think they are then?

I'm terrible with teeth, but this one looks pretty robust, and I'd be considering larger animals.

Hi Jikohr,

interesting teeth.

The shape of the tips makes me wonder if these are cat/ carnivore at all. Maybe quite worn canines of a really old animal that lost its typical pointy ends.

I did not find good references, but could imagine these to belong somewhere in a warthogs jaw, not the big tusks obviously.

As a word of warning, the two times I thought I got myself an african pleistocene fossil online, it turned out to be still smelling of carrion, there is a huge black market in recent animal parts from Africa.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

1 hour ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi Jikohr,

interesting teeth.

The shape of the tips makes me wonder if these are cat/ carnivore at all. Maybe quite worn canines of a really old animal that lost its typical pointy ends.

I did not find good references, but could imagine these to belong somewhere in a warthogs jaw, not the big tusks obviously.

As a word of warning, the two times I thought I got myself an african pleistocene fossil online, it turned out to be still smelling of carrion, there is a huge black market in recent animal parts from Africa.

Best Regards,

J

27 minutes ago, fossilus said:

Kind of reminds me of this thread from many years ago.

Maybe zebra canine?

Yeah, the possibility of them being modern was definitely in the back of my mind. That lack of good proximity ALONE beyond just "Africa" was a red flag. But hey, couldn't hurt to ask just in case right? I figured if they were indeed sabre-cat then they couldn't be modern and if they were IDed as something else I'd cross that bridge when I got to it.

Comparing them to that old thread fossilus provided basically seals it for me. I always forget equuids have canines and the first one is a pretty good match. The second one is a bit different but after looking around a bit I think I'm leaning toward Warthog though I could be wrong.

Gotta love African "fossils" am I right?

An affordable sabre tooth cat tooth once again remains a distant dream....

• I found this Informative 3

I´d go with the zebra. Warthog was just an idea I had looking for non- carnivora with substancial canines, Equid looks good.

Best Regards,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley