ID Help Peace River FL

PODIGGER

Back out Tuesday for a nice day on the Peace River. Found the river running a little faster and deeper than the previous week.  It was also very cloudy and had a greenish look to it. I went to a spot I had tried last year on my last visit for the season, when the river was running so fast it was sweeping just about everything right off the shovel as I tried to bring it up.  Today was better and I found plenty of nice shark teeth (no megs), an armadillo scute, set of camelid teeth, gator teeth, a very small phalange, and the partial tooth I am asking for help with here. When I first pulled it from the sifter I thought partial whale tooth.  I shortly decided this was not the case and researching further came to the conclusion it may be a partial Equus canine.  Went in this direction after comparing it to a camelid canine @Harry Pristis, @Shellseekerand @Meganeura helped me with recently.  This one has a thicker and rounder look to it.  I found a similar looking tooth on a commercial website ID'd as a horse canine and thought it looked like a match.  Opinion on ID would be appreciated.

Here is the the specimen I found:

Measurements -

40mm x 12mm x 9mm

or

1 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/8"

thumbnail-3.jpeg.88cc0267a710ea638a361b76dbe10447.jpeg

thumbnail-4.jpeg.c7b1c995d8c4c0aecc2365fed1bb2120.jpeg

thumbnail-5.jpeg.fb6922d232506f5dd2fa6def7bf56dbd.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg.3342c7c21f7a95717bef484a2ae4ccbf.jpeg

thumbnail-6.jpeg.8545e3ab5301d68ed140055ea90ecb68.jpeg

Here is the picture I found that I thought may be a match:

horse-canine-2__65179.thumb.jpg.562f88da97ca45e07ce6d303eae36c02.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, PODIGGER said:

Back out Tuesday for a nice day on the Peace River. Found the river running a little faster and deeper than the previous week.  It was also very cloudy and had a greenish look to it. I went to a spot I had tried last year on my last visit for the season, when the river was running so fast it was sweeping just about everything right off the shovel as I tried to bring it up.  Today was better and I found plenty of nice shark teeth (no megs), an armadillo scute, set of camelid teeth, gator teeth, a very small phalange, and the partial tooth I am asking for help with here. When I first pulled it from the sifter I thought partial whale tooth.  I shortly decided this was not the case and researching further came to the conclusion it may be a partial Equus canine.  Went in this direction after comparing it to a camelid canine @Harry Pristis, @Shellseekerand @Meganeura helped me with recently.  This one has a thicker and rounder look to it.  I found a similar looking tooth on a commercial website ID'd as a horse canine and thought it looked like a match.  Opinion on ID would be appreciated.

Here is the the specimen I found:

Measurements -

40mm x 12mm x 9mm

or

1 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/8"

thumbnail-3.jpeg.88cc0267a710ea638a361b76dbe10447.jpeg

thumbnail-4.jpeg.c7b1c995d8c4c0aecc2365fed1bb2120.jpeg

thumbnail-5.jpeg.fb6922d232506f5dd2fa6def7bf56dbd.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg.3342c7c21f7a95717bef484a2ae4ccbf.jpeg

thumbnail-6.jpeg.8545e3ab5301d68ed140055ea90ecb68.jpeg

Here is the picture I found that I thought may be a match:

horse-canine-2__65179.thumb.jpg.562f88da97ca45e07ce6d303eae36c02.jpg

I’m not so good at just roots, so I won’t be of much help here unfortunately. 

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Take a look at Tapir tusk (Canine??).... Harry has a great photo and may confirm.  I found a Tapir canine 10 years back.  

il_794xNTapirtusk.thumb.jpg.3bb7ec6493767df74b176f7235239ec7.jpg

Distant 2nd choice wolf tooth of horse or camel...

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

13 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Take a look at Tapir tusk (Canine??).... Harry has a great photo and may confirm.  I found a Tapir canine 10 years back.  

il_794xNTapirtusk.thumb.jpg.3bb7ec6493767df74b176f7235239ec7.jpg

Distant 2nd choice wolf tooth of horse or camel...

I'd agree with this! Horse canines are thinner I believe.

Thanks Jack - Tapir certainly would make my day! I do see that as a reasonable possibility.  I'll wait and see if Harry offers his opinion.

I’m thinking mammoth root maybe

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

6 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

I’m thinking mammoth root maybe

I'm of the same opinion. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

I have quite a few mammoth roots and have not found any this "robust" or with that type of tip on the end,

1 hour ago, digit said:

I'm of the same opinion. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

I’m not sold, I don’t see the same layers. I do see the enamel in the root but I feel like it’s too thick personally. The enamel bands that is.

• I Agree 1

Thanks for the ID and photo plate Harry. I have quite a few tapir uppers and lowers but a tapir canine is a first for my collection. With you and Jack on the same page I will put it in the tapir camp. Definitely a good day on the river!

• Enjoyed 2