Huge Modocia Typicalis

ebrocklds

my grandpa and i went trilobiting over the weekend and found a few nice things. this is a very large modocia typicalis he found. unfortunately it was a bit weathered but it is still a very nice piece. here are some pics of the prep and small amount of resto of a few missing thoracic segments. it measures 2.75 inches long.

we also found three bolaspidella sp., two or three more M. typicalis, a tiny M. Brevispina, and 130 agnostids of three species. Ptychagnostus cuyanas, Ptychagnostus akanthodes, and Baltagnostus eurypyx. not a bad trip but i have definately had better.

enjoy

2008041022242666.JPG

2008041022245355.JPG

2008041022242175.JPG

2008041022248205.JPG

2008041022242409.JPG

Brock

man thats awesome! what a nice trilobite and the restoration didnt turn out to bad either! :)

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Excellent job on the restoration Brock. Sounds to me like a great trip. If you'd consider "thinning the herd" on those agnostids, please send me a PM. I'm really starting to get into trilobites.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

thanks guys, i used automotive body filler to do the restoration. if the specimen was nicer to begin with i would have used an epoxy putty to restore it. the bondo is quite grainy and isn't that great for small stuff like that. i used a dremel with various diamond tips to shape it and then acrylic paint. i also painted a thin coat of paraloid on it because the fossil was a bit chalky and it needed to be consolidated. that is why it is sooo shiny. over all a decent fossil.

Brock

Hey Brock, quite the prep job there! Its almost like you know what the heck your doing. Ha!! Just kidding. Thats some nice work, plus turning a not so good fossil into a better fossil is always very satisfying.

RB

Guest solius symbiosus

Just wondering, How common are complete,or nearly complete Trilobites in the Cambrian? I probably come across a nearly complete one for about every 300 or 400 hours of searching in Ordovician rocks.

As Brock will surely attest, the Wheeler fm, i.e. U-Dig Fossils, is one of the most prolific Cambrian trilobite sites in the nation. I took 185 trilobites of 3 genera, Asaphiscus, Elrathia, and Pernopsis, in about 5 hours. This is a pay dig site which is pretty reasonable. That mountain range will continue to provide bugs for millenia. The Cambrian was probably the most prolific time for trilobites, but the Cincinnati area gives up its share of Ordovician Isotelus and Flexicalamene as well.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest solius symbiosus

^I knew that they were fairly common in the Cambrian, but I had no ideal they were that common. I've heard of the "butter layers" around Cincinnati. One of these days I'm going to head up that way.

I think that also a little luck is involved. Ive been to the red beds, dug for hours and found nothing, but the last time I attempted pulling a bug out, I got 5 madocia's in 2 hours! And over in the Drums, my buddy and I were practicaly sittin next to each other while prying up rock and splitting it, I found 11 nice bugs, and he finds nothing but heads and tails. I was quite happy,,,, he wasnt. Also, that rock at U-dig is much easy to work with and not concrete hard like other places, so you can go through more material and find more bugs. But I think the most important thing is being out there in the dirt! In a nut shell anyways.

RB

i have had similar experiences. the wheeler shale is very prolific. if you don't find a whole trilobite within 15 minutes you are not opening your eyes. the trick is finding large, rare and multi plates.

brock