Sinuous, fuzzy fossil

Daneyel

My son found this in northwest Arkansas. I'm certain it's a common fossil, but multiple Google searches and a reverse image search yielded nothing. He really wants to learn about it, so I thought I'd post here. Thanks, in advance!

20230409_174225.jpg

I'm no expert on the Ark area fossils, but I'm fairly sure this is a section of coral.  I'm sure someone who knows more can give a more details ID.  It helps in the ID process if you can list the county it came from, as well as the state.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

image from Hennig "Silurian bryozoa of gotland"(out of copyright)

edit: alterations mine

tafel1hennisilurbryozarkivfrzoologi02kungew_tfbr0423 (1).jpg

Edited by doushantuo

Assuming this is the standard thread count for blue jeans. :) Size is an indicator used to help differentiate bryozoans from corals in some instances.  

• Enjoyed 1

@Rockwood is correct, size (among other things) is very important for distinguishing coral from bryozoans.  But before getting an actual measurement, I will say that this looks like a very interesting preservation of a bryozoan.  The original framework of the animal has been (mostly) dissolved away, leaving behind a cast of the internal spaces of the bryozoan.  Very cool looking!

• I found this Informative 1