Triangular Tooth From My Garden

mofossils

Hi, I hope you can help me with this. I picked up an interesting tooth in my garden tonight. It was on surface, garden has been tilled for the year, so from a few inches down, I suppose. Here are some pics (click for bigger version). Oops, edited to say I found them in Lawrence County, SW Mo.

"Front"

post-3301-12744959303336_thumb.jpg

"Back"...there's actually three sides but I couldn't get it to sit right for a shot of the third.

post-3301-12744959693683_thumb.jpg

Top Surface

post-3301-1274496006263_thumb.jpg

Another shot of the top surface showing the ridge in the middle

post-3301-12744961441049_thumb.jpg

Here are other things I find on the surface in my garden, in case that helps with time period...

post-3301-12744964466879_thumb.jpg

All help appreciated. The only fossil teeth I've ever found are small shark's teeth from the west coast of FL, so I don't have a clue what this one is.

Thanks,

Judith

post-3301-12744958839314_thumb.jpg

Don't think its a tooth looks like a claw core but can't say from what.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Looks like a deer hoof core.

Harry has an excellent reference photo here somewhere. :unsure:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Perfect! I had no idea that deer hooves even had cores. No wonder I couldn't find anything shaped like it by googling "fossil triangular tooth".

So then, it seems like it's not necessarily very old, being still white rather than brown like those in Harry's reference photo.

Thank you all very much! Plenty of deer around here, that's for sure.

Perfect! I had no idea that deer hooves even had cores. No wonder I couldn't find anything shaped like it by googling "fossil triangular tooth".

So then, it seems like it's not necessarily very old, being still white rather than brown like those in Harry's reference photo.

Thank you all very much! Plenty of deer around here, that's for sure.

Don't be deceived by color of the bone. Color is an accident of preservation -- the brown bones are stained with tannic acid from a river. I have much older ungual phalanges from dry sites that are whitish or cream-colored.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Incidentally, the other "things" you found in your garden appear to be man-made - as in, stone tools. My advice is that you completely abandon the idea of gardening there, and turn it into your own little excavation site. I don't know how good the vegetables are, but I'd take finds like this over even a healthy tomato plant.

Thanks for the tip on color Harry. I will keep and enjoy the hoof core in any case.

No, Rover, I know they're tools, I was just teasing about the "things". We've invested quite a bit of time and some serious rock picking into making it a garden but I do think of it as my little personal excavation site. It certainly makes spring planting time more exciting! Found another partial point today, of a different type.

We have a fair bit of other space too & now that I'm getting the bug I will start checking other areas more methodically as I have time.

Thanks again everyone. Now I'll go start reading other threads so I can get better educated.

Amazing, Posted this pic of a "tooth" on a new ID thread at 1AM found Saturday in the Peace River Florida.

Guess I also have a deer hoof core.

post-2220-12747024469792_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Archived