Bone Id request

Just Bob

Hi, this bone was found on the shores of Fortescue, NJ.    I suspect it is Pleistocene too modern in age.  

B800B025-FD22-4CC5-8D78-25BED0132701.jpeg

D27F77F2-B78B-42B4-B81F-9044B1983E92.jpeg

D99DC55E-4CFE-4119-89EC-9549E0FEE9C7.jpeg

5D19AEA2-A33A-4C47-B161-68FA741AB63B.jpeg

5A9EBE5A-0C0B-41B7-9921-97999217648D.jpeg

1A3AF153-28FA-4571-A34F-3E17DF5F9467.jpeg

B835151F-06E3-4309-8D16-8A45233AE6EC.jpeg

ADD20D43-CE8C-474E-BD83-B3DF157136AC.jpeg

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Very interesting find!  I believe it is part (less than 1/2) of a vertebra.  I have attached a picture from the web of an elk cervical vertebra and circled the portion that I think represents your bone.  It would be much easier if I had it in hand to orient and look at to see if that was right, but it seems to fit.  Also, I'm not saying it is elk, that was just a large animal that I could find easily that had a similar pattern.  I put one of your pictures next to it to hopefully demonstrate what I'm talking about.

image.thumb.png.89cbdba3bf40df77e62ac98aabfffae2.png image.png.e5a7a43188d4393bf95f5bd792cc35d5.png

Edited by ClearLake
  • I found this Informative 4

That looks about right.    I will double check against some pictures of Elk, Moose and like.    Thank you. 

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

@Just Bob You're welcome and a couple more thoughts.  You didn't have any measurements, but based on the one picture in your hand, it is pretty large.  That will really narrow down the potential animals, even if you include Pleistocene megafauna.  I first started looking at mammoth verts, but they did not seem to be the right shape.  Taking some measurements and then estimating the size when complete may be helpful to you in identifying the former "owner".  A paleontologist at a museum may be helpful also, at least if they are familiar with Pleistocene to recent mammals.  Being found on the beach, it could have come from offshore Pleistocene deposits when sea levels were much lower than today and animals were running around out there (I'm not familiar with offshore NJ geology, so the presence of such deposits is just speculation).   Also, to me, it looked like it fit best with cervical vertebrae, but there may be other options.  Good luck and let us know if you find a decent match!

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

You are right about Pleistocene deposits being found offshore in New Jersey.    I have a baby mastodon tooth found by a trawler off the New Jersey coast.  

I have tried getting it touch with my state museum paleontologist but have not received any response.  After checking elk and moose verts, the best match seems to be a moose CV6.   I would not say it’s a 100% match but very close, close enough that I am pretty confident that’s it.    Thank you again for your help.  

• Enjoyed 1

Upton Sinclair