Paraloid for preservation.

Joe_17

I know paraloid has a wide variety of uses , but how well does it work for modern antlers for preservation? I'm going to be working on a few projects and was just curious how well it makes things in terms of durability for non fossilized things.

The answer would depend a lot on your intent of use.  Are you wanting to make a thick glue, or are you wanting a super thin consolidate? If you are gluing, it would be easier and faster to just super-glue it.  Keep in mind the intent of a consolidate is that is can soak into micro-cracks, gluing them and solidifying the object.  Antlers are not porous, and I can't imagine a modern one having micro-cracks throughout. If you are planning to paint the surface with it, that probably isnt going to accomplish anything.

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Antlers are bone, dead bone or dried bone. Bone is primarily composed of hydroxyapatite and collagen. Hydroxyapatite is an inorganic compound of calcium, phosphate, and hydroxide which is organized in a crystal latticework that gives bone (and teeth) structural rigidity. It preserves well as a fossil under some conditions.  This latticework is pervious.

Collagen is a fibrous protein that serves as connective tissue in bones and muscles. It does not preserve well after death. As collagen decomposes, it may be replaced in the hydroxyapatite latticework by minerals (or a plastic consolidant) from the depositional environment (e.g. silica dioxide dissolved in groundwater . . . or paraloid).

Beyond the pervious latticework, depending on the life-stage of the animal, antlers have more or less cancellous bone on their interior.  It's useful (and wise) to preserve antlers with a plastic consolidant such as paraloid. 

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest