SawTooth

Got this one in the creek Sunday, from size I'm thinking (hoping) that it's dire wolf. Any thoughts? Thanks!

IMG_20230418_151849.jpg

IMG_20230418_151929.jpg

IMG_20230418_152021.jpg

IMG_20230418_152206.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, SawTooth said:

Got this one in the creek Sunday, from size I'm thinking (hoping) that it's dire wolf. Any thoughts? Thanks!

You should get used to the habit of specifying size with words , like

Carnassial_m1.JPG.8e7571e183e9cc02b1faa46b33c5ab33.JPG

"IF", it is 1.3 inches in length,  it would have to be either the upper P4, or the lower m1.

WolfDentition.JPG.d0df16da20450235151365c88928b8e1.JPG

Yours is clearly a predator tooth, likely an m1.  It might be Dire wolf,  but could be something else. I am just not sure.  Whatever it turns out to be, NICE find.

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1cm 7mm long, 1cm 2mm wide, that sounds like it might be a bit smaller than dire wolf from your given length, but possibly feline?

1 hour ago, SawTooth said:

1cm 7mm long, 1cm 2mm wide, that sounds like it might be a bit smaller than dire wolf from your given length, but possibly feline?

I'll check,  in meantime , read this.  Remember the upper P4 tends to be the largest tooth.  You might still have smaller teeth within Dire Wolf,   I have a Dire Wolf lower p4 that measures 20 mm.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

More reading material... Maybe I should have remembered this tooth I found...

It has some similarity,  and a Puma concolor lower p4 averages 17.4 mm