Petrified wood or not?

Ramona

I grabbed this rock as a friend was tossing it out of a flower pot, mostly because it initially looked like petrified wood. After studying it some, I don't think it is, but I am not certain how to identify pet wood (am researching how to do this, though)? I don't see regular patterns on the ends of the rock, which I would expect to find in petrified wood. Is that correct? Found in Alabama, but no idea where it's origin is, since it was in a flower pot. See last photo for size comparison to a water bottle lid - it's a small rock. I checked it for transparency and some edges are transparent but not the entire rock.

Thanks!
Ramona 

IMG_5372editlow.jpg

IMG_5376editlow.jpg

IMG_5379editlow.jpg

IMG_5384editlow.jpg

IMG_5394editlow.jpg

IMG_5400editlow.jpg

IMG_5402editlow.jpg

IMG_5405editlow.jpg

IMG_5413editlow.jpg

low.jpg

24 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Oh ya, this is wood. It's heavily mineralized, but I'm quite certain of it being wood.

Oh, wow!  My instinct was correct for once, LOL!  I am sure glad I grabbed this one before she tossed it out! I wonder if it was someone's "treasure" in it's history...

Thanks!
Ramona

It looks like the petrified wood from Northern Arizona, not like anything thing I've ever seen from Alabama.  

Just now, M Harvey said:

It looks like the petrified wood from Northern Arizona, not like anything thing I've ever seen from Alabama.  

That's completely possible, since it was in a friend's flower pot and not necessarily from around here. You are the second person who has said that - I will ask her if she's been to Arizona! 

Thanks!