SE Texas leg bone

johnnyvaldez7.jv

I found this large bone today that I think might be a bison leg bone? Could be bovid but aren't the rear bison leg bones not as robust as the front? Thought I read that somewhere. But I can't tell if it's a radius or a metacarpal bone. It's highly mineralized...very heavy and solid.  River chewed it up pretty good tho. Didn't think it was horse because it just seemed too big compared to other horse bones I've found and I can't find any good pics online of the features in the third picture.  Sorry didn't get to clean it up yet. Found plenty of Pleistocene mammals in that spot. Cows too. Lots of cows.  This is 13.5 inches in length.

20230420_133437.jpg

20230420_133525.jpg

20230420_133457.jpg

20230420_133442.jpg

20230420_133411.jpg

20230420_133422.jpg

20230420_133430.jpg

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv
  • Enjoyed 2

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

It certainly resembles a horse radius

Does the styloid process of the ulna seem too long for horse?  The ulna fusion scar seems a bit long, too.

@ClearLake

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is an image I saw online of the distal view of a radius from a cow. Seems more like the 5th image from my post. Haven't compared bison but will.  But it is heavily mineralized...wasn't there a thread where someone mentioned mineralization and cow bones and if they've been here that long? I'll have to check on that. Screenshot_20230421_083721_Google.thumb.jpg.5060cd61d0c6dae5124326a0b223743d.jpg

I think it ticks most of the bison characteristics in Harry's post.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I looked at this briefly yesterday, then got distracted and never replied. I would agree with what has been said, it seems to fit bison most closely. The shape of the distal end was wrong for horse as I recall and at least in my specimen, the horse ulna is more solidly fused than is the case for bovine (but that is probably just an age thing)

Compare the bison on the left in the photo below (from Olsen’s book) with @johnnyvaldez7.jv picture #5 and I think you will see that is the best match. 

image.png.634009383ebc75f1b8be6cda577bef2e.png

Edited by ClearLake
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1