What type of tooth is this?

EroHed

It's a bovid m3, severely worn.  Though the crenulations in the enamel suggest bison, the tooth seems small for bison.  No easy way to determine age -- best is to rely on the context of the find.

bison_bos_m3.JPG.4ec7af9184b2ee5ee50ea181989f80a6.JPGbison_bos_m3_B.JPG.8e37f4e78e9c0b37ebb6064aee52d6b7.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I found this in an area of creek in SW, MS. Can anyone identify what beast it belongs to, say cow, horse, bison, etc? Thanks in return. 

710067309_04-08-23TOOTH1CUNKNOWNHANDHELDOBVERSEBLUESKINCREEKJEFFERSONCOUNTYMS.JPG

1394449328_04-08-23TOOTH1DUNKNOWNHANDHELDREVERSEBLUESKINCREEKJEFFERSONCOUNTYMS.JPG

04-08-23, TOOTH1E, UNKNOWN, HAND HELD, TOP, BLUESKIN CREEK, JEFFERSON COUNTY, MS.JPG

• Fossildude19 changed the title to What type of tooth is this?

bovine premolar, methinks

edit... I did not see that harry had answered.  His knowledge of these is much better than mine.  Go with his answer, not mine. 

Edited by jpc

@EroHed you posted this tooth on Sunday.  I've merged that topic with this one.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 4/21/2023 at 10:02 AM, jpc said:

bovine premolar, methinks

edit... I did not see that harry had answered.  His knowledge of these is much better than mine.  Go with his answer, not mine. 

Okay, thanks.