Crocodile armor scute

Callahan

All

I believe I found what woodbine formation animal I found the vertebrae was from in north tx. 

looking through all fossils from general area I found with little research found that I had croc skutes fossils.   Here is pics and any experts please chime in.  

I tumbled and polished some of the scutes so that’s why one or 2 look like this. My bad thought was some cool metallic iron ore etc

Wish I picked up more.  

I didn’t know what hole rocks were. 

Construction already destroyed animals fossil which I believe possibly a partial or whole animal remains. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks pretty close to these.  I ground off some of the holes in tumbler.  

the crystallized one has selenite on it. 

vertebrae and the bone was all found in 5 yard radius.  

could be just burrows. 

E7CE4ABA-6AD7-4484-BA89-9F04B6684C87.png

If you look at the pattern on the scutes, it covers the entire piece and also has consistent spacing in between the "craters", where as your items have randomly spaced holes.  The material is also quite different as well.  Your last image looks quite flaky, which would not be very effective body armor.

Edited by Fin Lover
  • I Agree 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Also, scutes and other vertebrate material rarely tumble smooth like yours are. Yours are similar in consistency to tumbled quartz pebbles. Bones and osteoderms typically chip and crumble into somewhat jagged pieces