SE Texas leg bone - Bison or bovid

johnnyvaldez7.jv

I found this bone in the same area as the bison radius from my previous post here in SE Texas. I've found pleistocene mammal material here before.  Looking at some illustrations online...I think it's a metatarsal, but I can't tell if it's from a cow or bison.  Both appear slender...bison leg bone images seem slender in the rear legs vs the front leg. This bone is heavily mineralized which leans me more towards bison than a cow. Unfortunately it has some wear at the ends that I was trying to compare images with. But I know there's someone who can tell right away and has one.  This bone is just over 9 inches total. 

20230422_082919.jpg

20230422_082913.jpg

20230422_082953.jpg

20230422_082859.jpg

20230422_083002.jpg

20230422_082937.jpg

20230422_082940.jpg

20230422_082950.jpg

If it's fully mineralized, I would think bison metatarsal.  The wear does make it hard to spot defining features though.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Thank you JohnJ and Brandy. Looking at that reference image which I had see before I posted it... it seems slim like the BOS and has a deeper ridge running along the center as the BOS does marked 4, BUT the edge on the side marked 5 is gone on my example... it is highly mineralized and heavy...not sure of the history of cows here going that far back. Also...there are 2 "holes" in each end on the flat side like the bison example and I have seen other examples online where the rear metatarsal of bison appear just as slim as the BOS metatarsal. 

Bos leg bones are just generally more slender like yours and the lack of swelling at the one intact side of the distal end confirms that likelihood. Bones can begin to become mineralized fairly quickly in the right circumstances and while domestic production of cattle in Texas really took off less than 200 years ago we should remember that the Spanish introduced them here almost 500 years ago.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

That's a GOOD reference picture.  Hadn't seen that one. Even tho my proximal end is chewed up...I can still see the GPW comparable on mine with the BOS. 

• Enjoyed 1

• 3 weeks later...

John long time no talk to you.  That’s looks like the snarge i find in the Trinity river basin. A lot of it highly mineralized    

just had UTA look at all my bones.  

Thankfully I only had one human pelvis or hip what ever you wanna call it.  

long story short. Went to sheriff office and they were super cool and were familiar with human bones popping out of Brazos   

they sent me to local barney fifes/medical examiner being there jurisdiction and sat down with detective etc.  

I hope to hear back from em soon and hopefully they have the funds to carbon date it to give me a rough age of bones I find in. That creek 

pretty sure very old due to river wash on edges etc. and from long ago natives.  

message me personally if you want.