How can I make thin hash plate stronger ?

Denis Arcand

I came across a beautiful fossilized hash plate, which is extremely delicate as it measures less than a centimeter in thickness, do you have any recommendations to make it stronger?. Additionally, I am curious to know if it is possible to enhance the appearance of the fossils by applying a coating of some sort. When wet, the plate is very attractive, but it looks dull and lacks variation in color when dry.

DSC06761b.thumb.JPG.01f9172ef6dd8c8cf3ee4c0255b90bbd.JPG

DSC06769b.thumb.JPG.d6a082cae82205c619fdf4181458f1c8.JPGDSC06766b.thumb.JPG.adfaf7111b89976484de4947960c0c01.JPG920R_DSC04253c.thumb.JPG.224f93b0b44a652663b6673b2d22a58f.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

Paraloid on the back. For the wet appearance, there’s mineral oil, or you can even attempt to keep it in a sealable frame with ethanol. Paraloid can also work here as well, pending the solution. I’ve seen everything from floor polish to all sorts of varnishes used to give that glossy appearance. Some folks here use a beeswax that imparts a minor shine, but not the fully "wet" appearance. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You can throw some fiberglass resin on the back. That will make it really durable. I'd go with a 5% Paraloid solution for the front to give it the wet look you're looking for. More applications = more gloss. It comes with the added benefit of easy removal with acetone in the event your future self regrets making the wet look call. Things like mineral oils work but tend to catch dust a bit, making long term cleaning a chore for display specimens.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Kane@Ptychodus04

Thank you all for recommending Paraloid B-72 to strengthen my fossils! I'm grateful for your advice. I will go with a 5% Paraloid solution for the front to give it the wet look. 

Now, I'm looking for a distributor of Paraloid B-72 in Quebec, Canada. I've had trouble finding reliable options online, and I prefer purchasing in person rather than online. Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

For the backing of the fossil, I intend to utilize fiberglass resin, but here's the twist: To safeguard the fossil's integrity, I will cover it with an aluminum sheet before applying the fiberglass resin. This method ensures that the resin does not come into direct contact with the fossil, creating a protective cast that supports it without permanently altering it.

Thank you again!

Edited by Denis Arcand

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

I think the surface of this lovely brachiopod hash doesn't need any enhancement. :brachiopod::b_love1:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png