I'm interested in a few of these turtle fossils supposedly found in the Neuse river in North Carolina. They are also labeled as Cretaceous. Do you think this is accurate or could they be from another age and or locality?

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Edited by Fullux
  • Enjoyed 1

Well, Cretaceous refers to a period of the Mesozoic era, commonly known as the age of dinosaurs. The Mesozoic is divided into three periods, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, the latter being marked by the extinction of the large non-avian dinosaurs.

Referring to the fossils you ask about, they seem to me turtle material, and that of the last fotobli encounter similar to some tooth, but I could not give a more precise identification than I have given.

Surely someone else could give a better opinion.

What do they think @Troodon @LordTrilobite

That River cuts across the State that includes many geologic ages, so do you know where these were found? 

The last one might be a Hadrosaurid tooth but would need more views to confirm.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

That River cuts across the State that includes many geologic ages, so do you know where these were found? 

The last one might be a Hadrosaurid tooth but would need more views to confirm.

Here's some other pics I was able to dig up of the last one.

I'm mostly just trying to figure out if this stuff is Cretaceous (Been trying to get some solid Appalachian fossils for a while).

It's from North Carolina in the Neuse river. Waiting on more info from the seller.

Screenshot_20230425_123525_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230425_123517_Chrome.jpg

If you can get a location we might be able to say Cretaceous.  I was trying to ID that last item since it might point to Cretaceous but I'm not seeing a tooth with those last images.

• I found this Informative 1

@sixgill pete is familiar with that area and he might be able to comment.  I know of a locality that has produced turtle and hadrosaur material so it is possible.

Don

The turtle is most likely Cretaceous if it comes from the Neuse River. There are some Eocene and Pliocene outcrops but not much turtle material in those outcrops.

Apologies Al Dente, I should have linked to you as well.  Probably some others as well.

Don