Hastalis (broad toothed mako/narrow white) or Plicatilis (giant white)

Rock36

My daughter found this slightly over 2 inch tooth diving off Venice Beach, Florida in March.  Boat operator and I both immediately thought it was a hastalis (broad toothed mako/narrow white).  However, now that I have been reading more on great white lineage and evolution, I’m wondering if it’s perhaps a plicatilis (giant white).  Or…are those two actually the same?  Any help appreciated…thank you!

here’s the link that got me wondering:

https://www.fossilguy.com/gallery/vert/fish-shark/giant-white/index.htm

IMG_4837.jpeg

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4839.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Extinct white shark naming and taxonomy is a can of worms. I don't believe C. plicatilis is widely used today as many authors consider it synonymous with C. hastalis, I personally refer to these white shark teeth as Carcharodon hastalis

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

9 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Extinct white shark naming and taxonomy is a can of worms.

:dinothumb:

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana