Tridactyl Horse

Shellseeker

A couple of beat up teeth.  Just seeing if there is anything identifiable.

@fossillarry @Meganeura

IMG_0181text.thumb.jpg.042a053b4efb029d6e75119ad800c043.jpg

Both cannot be lower right,  the one below should be IDed as lower left.

IMG_0162Tridactyl_Horse2.thumb.jpg.649ad9caf37e659690ff6d91054e15b0.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I’m not all that great at lowers yet - but I’d agree Nannippus for the second one for sure. Obviously too beat up to distinguish a protostylid so I’m not sure if there’s a way to tell which species of Nannippus

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

16 hours ago, Meganeura said:

I’m not all that great at lowers yet - but I’d agree Nannippus for the second one for sure. Obviously too beat up to distinguish a protostylid so I’m not sure if there’s a way to tell which species of Nannippus

Thanks Daniel for taking a shot at it.  I found both Tuesday,  and due to damage,  initially I was not going to post them.

The most common small horse I find at this location is Nannippus aztecus,  about 15 of those ,  then 1 N. westoni and 1 N. morgani and then 5 or 6 non Nannippus tridactyl horse teeth.

The size of the 2nd tooth is almost correct... even though the protostylid is missing. The APL is not longer than 14 mm, and the width in 8 mm or less.  These are Nannippus numbers in size.

Same discussion with the 1st tooth.. The APL and Width are close to accurate.  This tooth is also almost all there... and it is a lower !!! despite the added complexity.  This is not a Nannippus lower tooth which are very simple...1sttooth.JPG.e10a5fe4c0c896e1a38d6ee6bbb9ea5f.JPG

I got a feeling that this may be Cormohipparion emsliei because their lowers may be more complex...  Hopefully Larry can confirm or deny...

• I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks Daniel for taking a shot at it.  I found both Tuesday,  and due to damage,  initially I was not going to post them.

The most common small horse I find at this location is Nannippus aztecus,  about 15 of those ,  then 1 N. westoni and 1 N. morgani and then 5 or 6 non Nannippus tridactyl horse teeth.

The size of the 2nd tooth is almost correct... even though the protostylid is missing. The APL is not longer than 14 mm, and the width in 8 mm or less.  These are Nannippus numbers in size.

Same discussion with the 1st tooth.. The APL and Width are close to accurate.  This tooth is also almost all there... and it is a lower !!! despite the added complexity.  This is not a Nannippus lower tooth which are very simple...1sttooth.JPG.e10a5fe4c0c896e1a38d6ee6bbb9ea5f.JPG

I got a feeling that this may be Cormohipparion emsliei because their lowers may be more complex...  Hopefully Larry can confirm or deny...

Hulbert's book seems to agree with you on the Cormohipparion genus here! 

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

The first tooth is probably a right lower molar 1/2  of Neohipparion eurystile, on the small end of size range for this species. The second tooth is a left lower molar from Nannippus aztecus.

46 minutes ago, fossillarry said:

The first tooth is probably a right lower molar 1/2  of Neohipparion eurystile, on the small end of size range for this species. The second tooth is a left lower molar from Nannippus aztecus.

Thank you,  I have a piece of a lower right jaw,  that I had thought to be Neohipparion eurystyle... evidently incorrectly...Please tell me what it actually is...  Thanks,  Jack

IMG_2644Jaw.jpg.7a381af3f429a638c05e9ddd26836ab4.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Jack I believe your jaw fragment is from Cormohipparion ingenuus, probably right p 3/4 and m1. Nice find.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, fossillarry said:

Jack I believe your jaw fragment is from Cormohipparion ingenuus, probably right p 3/4 and m1. Nice find.

Larry,  if only I had found it   !!!

A very good friend who has taught me much, and was a Drag Line Maintenance supervisor in Bone Valley Phosphate mines in the 1970s and 1980s.  He picked it up...  I love this photo , taken in the Mulberry Florida Museum

SteveAtPhosphoria.JPG.b186b6e2295d6fac5bc400f0bacc49ca.JPG

• Enjoyed 1