Just Curious On Identification

Dirt Digger

any help would be appreaciated have more pics just couldnt loadem

Looks a lot to a cow? or Bison? frontal piece of cranium, without the horns.

any help would be appreaciated have more pics just couldnt loadem

ya i was thinkin bison cause of the position of the back cows usualy have that open space right behind the front eye dont they

post-3323-12747729975951_thumb.jpg

Looks a lot to a cow? or Bison? frontal piece of cranium, without the horns.

mind ya looks like predators face if ya flip it over lol

post-3323-12747730928057_thumb.jpg

Your images are too dark, 'Dirt Digger', and the object is obscure.

Do you have editing software that came with your camera or with your scanner? Use the image-editing software (or download shareware from the Internet).

You can be as creative as you want to be with the software, but the following basic things will improve anyone's images.

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible to reduce shadows. Halogen bulbs are better for photography than tungsten filament bulbs. The new compact flourescent bulbs come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture and produce very little heat.

BRIGHTEN AND CONTRAST. BRIGHTEN the image until the fossil appears slightly washed, then adjust the CONTRAST until the fossil is bright and sharp and is a good color-match. Practice this until you get a feel for it.

CROP, CROP, CROP. Again, use the image-editing software to crop the image to only what is pertinent. Leave only a narrow margin around the fossil. The more of your kitchen counter-top in the image, the smaller the fossil image will be.

REDUCE THE FILE SIZE. The images directly from a camera usually are too large for posting directly to a forum. You can constrain the proportions of your image to produce exactly the size that works best (I routinely use 700 Kb - 1 Mb for my images now). Save in JPEG format.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Looks like bison to me. The protruding eye orbits look more bison that moo-cow.

i feel the same way, and he has more bones (from the same animal?) in his gallery, one of which looks like a thoracic vert with a long spinous process.

To me a wide forehead tends to suggest bison.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

ya it turned out to be bison for sure was fossilized dating 200-2000 yrs old roughly now i just gota figure out what to do with it lol i got a small amount of bones but i could always go get the rest just wanted to figure out what it was before i bothered now i gota figure out where to put it and the rest of it lol but for my first find on my first day not bad eh at least hes old and the older moocow lol

i feel the same way, and he has more bones (from the same animal?) in his gallery, one of which looks like a thoracic vert with a long spinous process.

still think if i flipped it over and attached the spine it would be a really cool predator recreation lol

Now I can see it cristal clear! Bison!

Archived