Fossil ID

texastiguan

Hello-Can anyone identify this bone? Found along the Brazos river, It measures about 14" long x 8" at widest point and 4" wide at smallest point. It weighs about 7.8 pounds.

Thanks!

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Can't help with the ID, but want to extend my welcome to the forum.  I look forward to see what other, more qualified members come up with on an ID.  Nice find.

Looks to me like part of a scapula - the raised ridge is pretty diagnostic. The sort of dimpled pattern on the end of the bone in the last picture means that the bone is missing the epiphysis (the end that is normally fused there and serves as the connection point for the next bone). 

My first thought was mammoth or mastodon because of the size, but I think I'm going to guess bison instead because although it's big it isn't that big. There were several species of bison living in Texas during the Ice Age and some of them got much larger than the single species that's still around today. Here's a picture of a scapula from Bison latifrons, the Giant Bison, for comparision:

image.png.f5a3a276fb526b50f144056b9c9ff080.png

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with Graham that it is a partial scapula.  However, I'm pretty sure it is mammoth or mastodon.

Very cool find.  :Smiling:

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ