Outer Banks - best shark tooth hunting beaches?

fossilized6s

My 9 old and I are headed to the Outer Banks for adventuring and he really wants to find shark teeth. Anyone willing to share some beaches? We'll only be there a few days, so I'd rather not waste time beach combing every beach. Lol

We're staying in Kill Devil Hills, NC. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

7 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

My 9 old and I are headed to the Outer Banks for adventuring and he really wants to find shark teeth. Anyone willing to share some beaches? We'll only be there a few days, so I'd rather not waste time beach combing every beach. Lol

We're staying in Kill Devil Hills, NC. 

The Outer Banks beaches don’t have much in the way of fossils. Further south in NC has better fossil hunting on the beaches.

• I found this Informative 1

There's the Aurora Fossil Museum in Aurora, NC. I think it's about 3hr drive from OBX. They have a humongous pile of matrix from the near by mine. The last time I was there with my family, we collected about 1200 teeth between the 6 of us.

OBX super beaches, cool shells but as it's been said very poor with fossils.  I was there last year, did not find anything but a great beach.  Aurora indeed has some great spoil piles from the mine

Not sure when you are going to NC, but Aurora has their annual festival May 26-28.  They will be probably be getting a fresh load of spoils right before that, but they also close for a few days to prepare for the festival, so just check their website before you make a few hours' drive there.

• I found this Informative 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Sometimes beach replenishment will tap into some fossil bearing matrix, but in general obx is not a great spot for fossils.