Peace River Hunting.. May 2nd

Shellseeker

I went hunting yesterday.  My hunting partner wanted to return to a place that never ran out of gravel, and had numerous great fossils.  At least the last time we were there 4 years ago...

Yesterday, it was more difficult. It seemed that many had discovered this place and it is pretty close to a Peace River access bridge.

In this group short where I have removed the 100s of small shark teeth (broken and whole) it seems there is little of interest,  but hold any judgements...

IMG_0288.thumb.JPG.19f0416d486d76dd1b10bdbf854701fd.JPG

I kept a couple of bones because I wanted to use them as puzzles to solve...

Some interesting finds:

Worked_rock.thumb.jpg.544cbfd5b996e8f4fff6c577bb441d15.jpgTuna_Hyplural_BoneText.thumb.jpg.520a19f2773a99191d383c704aff9848.jpgMergeText1.thumb.jpg.af8b79648da6a3f74c62e6a5127c3a77.jpg

This Hemi is about as sweet as any of these get with black on black Peace River coloration...

ID #1) How about a sliver of enamel.... The brownish area on the bottom photo implies Mammoth enamel,  the enamel is thinner than I normally expect from Mammoth, and the external texture is not what I normally think of as Mammoth...

EnamelText.thumb.jpg.090a53390320ab5fab62824120db0152.jpg

What is next

ID #2)  This looks like a gigantic !!! Drumfish tooth,  but that seems unlikely.. What is it?  Does not look man_made, and it is pretty unusual as a concretion.... I do not know...

Merge1text.thumb.jpg.f409f606c88683485c5b734d9eabc6a6.jpg

And ID #3)

Early in the day I found a wild pig molar and tossed it back... then I picked this up,, I said it was really odd, but was about to toss it as modern calf,  he said that he did not know....

So TFF gets to see it... Calf Molar, lower left m2... It has a really odd stylid.  but there seems to be lots of variability on the stylids. The enamel is translucent,  and "seems" fossilized,  even seems to have some HSBs, but possibly those marks are just scratches..

IMG_0327ce.thumb.jpg.21e8e64a7fc0f85ea1b121a5cc7c4129.jpgIMG_0332ce.thumb.jpg.cd227fc5c83a97dba844a972ddb6417d.jpg

I think I am just sharing an odd modern tooth,

As always , it was a great day on the river....  Jack

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

#1 I agree is mammoth - juvenile maybe?

#2 is definitely drum fish. They can certainly get quite large - I know @Amarykah has some big ones!

• Thank You 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

2 hours ago, debivort said:

Can we see #1 end-on? Reminds me also of fragmented giant sloth.

I gradually started to think that, given the last 15 years,  I should be able to recognize the Peace River Fauna from the texture and characteristics of the enamel of its teeth or in the case of Sloth,  the Dentin that makes up it's teeth.. Here is a Paramylodon harlani tooth.  That was over a year ago.  Bit I find that wavy pattern on a fragment of tooth,  I should recognize it as Sloth.

SlothTooth_Text.thumb.jpg.026dbd7a9f76a06514b7e1907711e4db.jpg

#1.... is a sliver... I had to put it down so my camera could focus on it instead of my finger. The enamel seems more similar to Rhino or Mastodon actually. It is that brown cementum that makes me think Mammoth.

IMG_0337ce.thumb.jpg.0043f1570a84d9f3f01d4bc5f48e61be.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Dawson Sensenig said:

Nice finds! I would love to hit up the Peace River one day!

It is a sense of joy and wonder for me. I can not imagine what my life would have been like had I not discovered Fossil Hunting 15 years ago...

• Enjoyed 3
  • I Agree 1

Maybe @bthemoose,  who has sold/traded Black Drumfish teeth,  can help...

The ones in your posting are 6-7 mm.  This is 18 x 16 .. Is it a Drumfish tooth ?

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Maybe @bthemoose,  who has sold/traded Black Drumfish teeth,  can help...

The ones in your posting are 6-7 mm.  This is 18 x 16 .. Is it a Drumfish tooth ?

I’m by no means an expert on fish teeth, but this looks different than the drum fish teeth I’ve collected from the Calvert Cliffs, which all have concave bases. From the photos at least it looks like what you have is convex on the bottom. This is also much larger than any I’ve found, though I don’t know that size is a disqualifier. The widest dimension on the teeth below is 1cm.

Perhaps @Al Dente can help?

IMG_8010.thumb.jpeg.0d7e26744d1f4eeef3aeb4230d6316d5.jpeg

IMG_8011.thumb.jpeg.b578d84c732478d6aec6928e14e89fc2.jpeg

Edited by bthemoose
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, bthemoose said:

I’m by no means an expert on fish teeth, but this looks different than the drum fish teeth I’ve collected from the Calvert Cliffs, which all have concave bases. From the photos at least it looks like what you have is convex on the bottom. This is also much larger than any I’ve found, though I don’t know that size is a disqualifier. The widest dimension on the teeth below is 1cm.

Perhaps @Al Dente can help?

I don’t know if it is from a drum, but I do think it is a fish tooth. I’m pretty sure I’m seeing enamel covering this fossil (dark outer ring in this photo).

IMG_2731.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I don’t know if it is from a drum, but I do think it is a fish tooth. I’m pretty sure I’m seeing enamel covering this fossil (dark outer ring in this photo).

Thank you,

If I could go back to the Cretaceous chalks of Kansas,  I could likely find these all over the place,  but still only 6-7 mm

BDX107.jpg.d8a38939fac6248b4cdf877e4fa19223.jpg

On 5/3/2023 at 3:21 PM, Meganeura said:

#1 I agree is mammoth - juvenile maybe?

#2 is definitely drum fish. They can certainly get quite large - I know @Amarykah has some big ones!

Here’s what I’ve got for comparison :) just a few

C8610012-51BB-41A3-9CA4-1EB6F0BB9B8B.jpeg

EBFBF101-3E5F-4A4A-A5E2-1542A70140F8.jpeg

173BFD29-4D34-4AF4-BCB5-26F277B167EF.jpeg

CF1EB1F2-A3CF-405C-AC51-C34E243DF868.jpeg

BD40BF5D-4642-4AAF-8F89-67C444E8F962.jpeg

8E18B524-36FB-4EAE-AD9F-56193D564740.jpeg

2 hours ago, Amarykah said:

Here’s what I’ve got for comparison :) just a few

Thanks for posting.. You certainly find a lot of Drum Fish teeth.  The most unusual thing about this find is the size 18 mm.  I have never seen a Drum Fish tooth that large before. I have a friend who worked for the BV Phosphate mines in the 1980s,  and says he has a handful about the same size.  What are the size of your largest teeth?

That will tell us that other fish teeth of this size exists in Florida, it will not tell us what fish has such large teeth... or the geological age of the teeth....

On 5/4/2023 at 8:02 PM, Shellseeker said:

Thanks for posting.. You certainly find a lot of Drum Fish teeth.  The most unusual thing about this find is the size 18 mm.  I have never seen a Drum Fish tooth that large before. I have a friend who worked for the BV Phosphate mines in the 1980s,  and says he has a handful about the same size.  What are the size of your largest teeth?

That will tell us that other fish teeth of this size exists in Florida, it will not tell us what fish has such large teeth... or the geological age of the teeth....

Many of my drum fish teeth are beach finds (Caspersen) and not from the river (hence the pretty colors). They’re some of my favorite things to find. I don’t have them labeled as to which location I’ve found them, but I think the big ones were likely from the river. My biggest one actually only measures 12.5mm. That’s pretty far from your 18mm! If u need more closeups of others to compare anything let me know! Cool find!

• Thank You 1