Josesaurus rex

Hello everyone.

A few weeks ago I received this piece of matrix with remains claimed to be Allosaurus, from the Morrison Formation. I'm not sure if they're even dinosaur, but I bought them anyway to experiment with cleaning it.

What is highlighted in green, in the first photo, is where I was cleaning up with a dremel engraver.

From a previous post that I saw on the forum, where someone was asking about this same fossil (I apologize if I bought it ahead of time:whistle:), I read that they suggested just exposing the bones a little more, and preparing the matrix. It's what I'm doing. But since I don't have paraloid or butvar, in some parts to reinforce the fragile bones I applied super glue, one that is quite liquid and absorbs very well through the cracks, I apply it by drops using a syringe. Maybe I did wrong, but it is the only thing that could have been done in the absence of something better, and I find that it has stabilized the bones very well so that they do not crumble. In the parts highlighted in blue in the first photo and those that follow, there are spaces in the matrix where there was bone, which surely eroded and only the mold remained. The matrix is quite hard, so I don't think it needs any additional need.

My doubts are:

a) Are Allosaurus rib fragments effectively treated, as suggested in the publication?

b) If they are not, is it possible to tell if it is a theropod, sauropod or other type of animal?

Thank you very much in advance.

IMG_20230503_144437_edit_27335222481765.jpg

IMG_20230502_230724.jpg

IMG_20230502_231125_edit_27426722035918.jpg

IMG_20230502_230814_edit_27386594048945.jpg

IMG_20230502_230740.jpg

IMG_20230502_230842_edit_25243267661251.jpg

IMG_20230502_230754_edit_25199710884174.jpg

IMG_20230502_231225.jpg

We'll see what the experts say but in my experience ribs are really hard to differentiate even when complete.

Do you have a state and county where it was found, that would help.

This is very non-Morrison looking matrix.  Yes, bones in the Morrison come in a variety of dfferent rocks, and I have seen a lot of them, but none that look like this.  If it is Morrison, there is not at all enough to label it as either a rib or an allosaur.... in my opinion, and based on the photos.  

Same as what jpc said.  Not much is there to say much.  Not sure how seller labeled it the way he did.

6 hours ago, jikohr said:

We'll see what the experts say but in my experience ribs are really hard to differentiate even when complete.

Do you have a state and county where it was found, that would help.

Morrison Form. Vernal, UT.

That's what it said in the post

@jpc @Troodon

I was thinking the same thing, I know that isolated and fragmented bones are difficult to identify, however I thought that there could be at least a slight clue, at this point I don't even know if they are from dinosaurs, and it is obvious here the resource of using names of known dinos to attract customers. But I am not disappointed, because it is a piece that I still like a lot.

@jpc Maybe it looks different because I used a lamp with yellow light to take the photo? here are some photos of the publication so that you can see the most real colors of the matrix. As soon as I have natural light, I'll take other photos myself.

98EE05F1-B311-40A4-92C9-3AAC0D8939F4.png

1DA540F9-C3C6-4680-9412-46A82E096730.png

I took some pictures with natural light, not in direct sun because it was cloudy. I hope that the photos now will be of more help to be able to attempt an identification. 

IMG_20230505_100141.jpg

IMG_20230505_095602.jpg

IMG_20230505_095610.jpg

IMG_20230505_095625.jpg

IMG_20230505_095632.jpg

IMG_20230505_095645.jpg

IMG_20230505_095841.jpg

IMG_20230505_100000.jpg

IMG_20230505_100124.jpg

I would be surprised if this is actually Morrison Fm.  It looks nothing like any bone producing rock I have seen from the Morrison.  

• I found this Informative 1

Well, thank you very much for the answer. What type of matrix do you think you most resemble based on what you know? 

@jpcIt was also mentioned that it was triggered, I do not know if they referred to the womb or the bone itself. Maybe that's why the color. 

Are you made to family any of the above? Is it possible that there is such mineralization in the Morrison Formation? 

On 5/5/2023 at 12:25 PM, Josesaurus rex said:

@jpcIt was also mentioned that it was triggered, I do not know if they referred to the womb or the bone itself. Maybe that's why the color. 

Are you made to family any of the above? Is it possible that there is such mineralization in the Morrison Formation? 

something in the translation is confusing.... triggered?  womb?...made to family?

As for you last question, yes it is possible, but like I have said,  but I have seen a lot of Morrison rocks and bones  and none look like this.  Possible, but maybe not likely.  

4 hours ago, jpc said:

something in the translation is confusing.... triggered?  womb?...made to family?

As for you last question, yes it is possible, but like I have said,  but I have seen a lot of Morrison rocks and bones  and none look like this.  Possible, but maybe not likely.  

Wow, the translator has played more than just a trick. :DOH:

What he said at first was that the publication mentioned that the piece was agatized. It was not specified if it was the bone or the rock matrix.

And the second thing was, if possible, based on what you know, that agatizations occur in the Morrison Formation.

I would also like to note that while I clean it with the Dremel engraver, sometimes an intense red sediment comes out, and when brushing the dust, the bones stain a little. The bones are light grey, but if they look a bit red or orange that's also because of the dust I mentioned.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to review the photos.