Pennsylvanian arthropod bit

connorp

Maybe a long shot, but I'm hoping someone might recognize this. It looks like a piece of some arthropod exoskeleton to me, but further than that I have no idea. It was collected in the Pennsylvanian of Illinois. The site it collected from is terrestrial/freshwater. It is dominated by plants but has produced bivalves, branchiopods, and shark egg cases – typical fauna for a site like this. Some other possible arthropod bits have showed up, but nothing obviously identifiable. I would expect horseshoe crabs and/or insects will show up eventually, but nothing definitive yet.

f2.thumb.JPG.da434c57bf88e3c197f124be04348164.JPG

f1.thumb.JPG.8b252031fc8f051b9b5d91d02aac5ffc.JPG

Can you share some images of the branchiopods you find there? Could  this be a bit of branchiopod?

10 hours ago, westcoast said:

Can you share some images of the branchiopods you find there? Could  this be a bit of branchiopod?

I don’t have any pictures on hand, but they have all been Leaia and Pemphilimnadiopsis. This does not appear to be a piece of either. This thing is also bigger than any branchiopod I’ve seen from here.

That is such an interesting one. It feels a bit reminiscent of a shrimp part to me?