Hi everyone!

One of the goals for my collection is to eventually own a keichousaurus fossil as they’ve come to really fascinate and captivate me. I’ve done some research externally and on the forum about how to identify real or fake or restored keich fossils and I wanted your guys’ input on this specimen I’ve recently come across.

Admittedly, the prep work on this keich fossil, if real, is pretty bad and is definitely not something I’d go after, but I wanted to see if my bit of research has payed off.

My guess is that the specimen is real, however, it seems to me like it’s had a very unpleasant acid prep done to it with some sort of restoration in the distal bones, possible in the tail too. What do you think? I’d love to hear your guy’s thoughts.

8776DD83-7A6A-44A0-905A-99360C45BCAA.jpeg

69ED21C8-6F3E-4718-ADC0-8AC9CCBF7E23.jpeg

311D3579-81EB-4A5E-A6A8-9A297AE638AB.jpeg

FE50C9EA-335B-440F-9EAD-203E2CD686B1.jpeg

Edited by Rikache

an interesting Keichou in unusual position

Not easy to say, I would assume the hind legs are carved, vertebrate-column looks real, ribs and skull, think this is real, too.

Problem is, that many Keichous have been badly prepped and colored, so they could be 100% originals but look like 80...

sometimes the only chance to be sure is, use acetone to remove color and check

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Does not appear to be acid prepped but mechanically prepped,,,,, and not a good prep at that.  

RB

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3