#183 Ludwigia

Ludwigia

MOTM Jan. 2011; VFOTM 10/11; IPFOTM 03/12; 2013 IPFOTY

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts

Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Nice finds! I particularly like the last flower!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

#184 Malcolmt

Malcolmt

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

The winged insect is amazing , looks like it was printed on the rock with a high definition ink jet printer

#185 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the kind replies and feedback.. that last flower is Porana sp.

The other two are Florissantia quilchenensis.

Cheers

Ed

#186 FossilDAWG

FossilDAWG

Member of the Month May 2011

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Dang, Ed, you're making me homesick for BC.

Don

#187 AgrilusHunter

AgrilusHunter

MOTM 02/13

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Awards

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

The winged insect is amazing , looks like it was printed on the rock with a high definition ink jet printer

Yup! It's a nice one for sure!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."
-- Terry Pratchett

#188 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

Thanks guys.. still have some pieces to split so may come across something else... have to wait for my finger to heal . a piece of rock split off when I hit it and went nearly through the end of my finger.. I knew I should have been wearing the gloves I brought along.. next time.

If I find anything else good in that bucket I will post it .

Cheers

Ed

#189 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:32 AM

Nice goodies - either you are lucky or that's a great site to collect! One of these days...

Take care of that finger, you'll need it for more fossil collecting.

#190 Fossildude19

Fossildude19

MOTM - 06/11 - Veteran Shale Splitter

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts
  • Location:Connecticut, United States. Lower Jurassic, Shuttle Meadow & East Berlin FMs

Awards

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Ed,

So glad to see you are getting out to your sweet spots!

Fantastic fossils!  And more yet to split!  WOW!  :o  :faint:  :envy:

The flowers and insects are fantastic.

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir  
          ~    ~    ~    ~      ><))))(*>

#191 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

Nice goodies - either you are lucky or that's a great site to collect! One of these days...

Take care of that finger, you'll need it for more fossil collecting.

Thanks Eric

Next time I will use the gloves that I take with me. The site is really not that great but there must be a better one nearby I'm thinking.

Cheers

Ed

Edited by Mr_ed, 25 June 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#192 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Ed,

So glad to see you are getting out to your sweet spots!

Fantastic fossils!  And more yet to split!  WOW!  :o  :faint:  :envy:

The flowers and insects are fantastic.

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Thanks Tim

Yeah I have 5 gallons  of fossil rock to split.. that should be good for a couple insects anyway.  The rock there is extreemly hard to split so I split most of it at home on my vise. I have a large vise and I have a way of using the edge of the jaw to split the rock. That way  I can split it down to about 1/8 of an inch .. at the site I can only split it where it wants to split easily. That is to say that I can get about 6 splits out of a 2 inch thick piece of fossil rock at home where I would only be able to split it in the middle somewhere at the site. It is a lot more productive that way.

Thanks again

All the best

Ed

#193 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:32 AM

So you can in fact increase productivity by splitting it where it doesn't necessarily want to split? I've always assumed that with this kind of material, where the layers come apart easily is where the fossils will be, but I guess now a small insect will not create much of a weak spot like the larger leaves do.

#194 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

So you can in fact increase productivity by splitting it where it doesn't necessarily want to split? I've always assumed that with this kind of material, where the layers come apart easily is where the fossils will be, but I guess now a small insect will not create much of a weak spot like the larger leaves do.

The matrix at this site is not layered like McAbee and Coalmont .. It breaks at any angle almost. It is pretty tough stuff to work with. The fossil rock here is out of place and only the tough has survived. I dig this stuff out of the gravel. Some of the pieces are layered and they fall apart too easily.

Interesting site but it won't last.. supply is running out, but I want to find where it came from.

Cheers

Ed

#195 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Interesting yes, I would not have expected that kind of rock to contain fossils that could be exposed this way either. My local shale splits every which way but it's not tough to split except when it's in big boulder sized chunks then the problem is getting it to split the way you want it to.

#196 Plantguy

Plantguy

Member of the Month August 2013

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Awards

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

here is a couple more. The fly in the middle is a march fly.. haven't determined what the rest of it is in second picture on this post.

Ed

Hi Ed, really enjoyed seeing the plant material--Especially the Florissantia! Must be a pretty special site to collect from.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Yep, that glove wearing procedure is usually a good thing--been there a number of times with banged up fingers/hands myself...That doesnt however save you from the errant glancing/wacking of your leg and other body parts with rock shards though--I know that procedure as well!

Hope you are mending quickly. 

I am really intrigued with the 2nd unidentified photo...my tired old eyes want to make that a set of wings (maybe 2 larger ones and 2 smaller ones) of something. I want to say I can see veination in the wings in places and the darker areas possibly remnant coloration? What do you think? Have you viewed this under any magnification? Regards, Chris  

#197 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hi Ed, really enjoyed seeing the plant material--Especially the Florissantia! Must be a pretty special site to collect from.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Yep, that glove wearing procedure is usually a good thing--been there a number of times with banged up fingers/hands myself...That doesnt however save you from the errant glancing/wacking of your leg and other body parts with rock shards though--I know that procedure as well!

Hope you are mending quickly. 

I am really intrigued with the 2nd unidentified photo...my tired old eyes want to make that a set of wings (maybe 2 larger ones and 2 smaller ones) of something. I want to say I can see veination in the wings in places and the darker areas possibly remnant coloration? What do you think? Have you viewed this under any magnification? Regards, Chris  

Thanks Chris;

That site where the flowers are is an easy one, right beside the road. Lots of stuff to look at.

My finger is healing suprisingly well. A wedge came off the rock I was hammering and the sharp end of the wedge was right adjacent to my finger and the force of the hammer drove it through and a lot of dirty and grit with it. I cleaned it up as good as I could with my T-shirt and cut a strip to wrap it and stuck it in my glove that way and left it til I got home. When I took the bandage off  it was stuck together so I cleaned it up a bit and left it like that. To my suprise it healed like that.. It is nearly healed up already.

That 2nd photo has a march fly in the middle. I looked at it with a microscope. The rest of it is some kind of a stem with very small leaves or flowers. Can't really tell.. but it isn't veination. i thought the same as you until I put it under the scope. Showy piece though. There is lots of march flies there..where that one came from.. but it isn't the same as the flowers. it's a couple klm away.

Cheers

Ed

#198 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

This concretion is lying along the road and too big to lift. Looks neat though. Would be a nice yard rock.

Cheers

Ed

Attached Files

#199 Plantguy

Plantguy

Member of the Month August 2013

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Awards

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Thanks Chris;

That site where the flowers are is an easy one, right beside the road. Lots of stuff to look at.

My finger is healing suprisingly well. A wedge came off the rock I was hammering and the sharp end of the wedge was right adjacent to my finger and the force of the hammer drove it through and a lot of dirty and grit with it. I cleaned it up as good as I could with my T-shirt and cut a strip to wrap it and stuck it in my glove that way and left it til I got home. When I took the bandage off  it was stuck together so I cleaned it up a bit and left it like that. To my suprise it healed like that.. It is nearly healed up already.

That 2nd photo has a march fly in the middle. I looked at it with a microscope. The rest of it is some kind of a stem with very small leaves or flowers. Can't really tell.. but it isn't veination. i thought the same as you until I put it under the scope. Showy piece though. There is lots of march flies there..where that one came from.. but it isn't the same as the flowers. it's a couple klm away.

Cheers

Ed

Hi Ed, thanks for the response...I wish I had an easy photo editor and a tool within this forum to make asking you some more questions about your photo a little easier/quicker...I tried outlining some areas in blue that I'm wondering if you can possibly confirm are parts of the march fly...I also tried to mark in red the number of darker longer lines and a series of much shorter lines that I thought might be wing veination of some sort...Attached File  Insect test photo.jpg   277.77KB   15 downloadsjust wanted to confirm we are talking about the same things...thanks! Regards, Chris 

#200 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

Hi Ed, thanks for the response...I wish I had an easy photo editor and a tool within this forum to make asking you some more questions about your photo a little easier/quicker...I tried outlining some areas in blue that I'm wondering if you can possibly confirm are parts of the march fly...I also tried to mark in red the number of darker longer lines and a series of much shorter lines that I thought might be wing veination of some sort...attachicon.gifInsect test photo.jpgjust wanted to confirm we are talking about the same things...thanks! Regards, Chris 

Hi chris;

Yes the blue you have outlined is the march fly. The red is vegetation of some kind. I will get a better picture for you on monday. I am going fossil hunting with the fossil club tomorrow at Ashcroft so won't have time tomorrow.

Cheers

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users