Just bought my first trilobite!

Ajax

Hello everyone! 

This is my first post on the forum so forgive me if I make any mistakes today. I just bought a little trilobite today from a shop in Athens, Greece. It's my first time buying a trilobite, and so me being a noob at telling the differences between a fake and non-fake, I wanted to ask your opinion.

It's a Moroccan trilobite and I don't know the specific species. It's black in color on a grey matrix, it's not too light in weight for it's size but not too heavy either, it's 3cm in length and it has holes and it depending on what species it is it doesn't seem too detailed. I did google it first btw and did see that those last two indicators are a sign of a resin fake, but I wanted to ask here too just to make sure.

Sorry if the photos aren't that well focused! I'm not good with a camera! Also in the case that it's fake don't feel bad for me since it ws pretty cheap for a fossil! Thank you so much for your help! 

IMG_20230509_202727.jpg

IMG_20230509_195440.jpg

IMG_20230509_195416.jpg

Definitely a fake. Very poor one, at that.

Air bubbles visible on the cranidium.

I'm guessing this is supposed to be a Gerastos granulosus.

Don't know why they would make such a poor fake when the real ones are plentiful, and inexpensively acquired.

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

13 minutes ago, PogMoThoin said:

I just bought a little trilobite today from a shop in Athens, Greece.

Probably should have asked here before you bought it.  I agree with Tim that it is a very bad fake. :(

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Probably should have asked here before you bought it.  I agree with Tim that it is a very bad fake. :(

Again, don't feel bad since it didn't cost me that much anyways I just wanted something even if it only resembles a trilobite. It's not like I could find any other local shop/seller at the time and that was the cheapest so I was kinda going in there expecting to get a fake. Plus that store is a little stingy with their fossils so I didn't want to be rude by asking to take pictures to confirm it's authenticity. Sure I could've asked the store clerk as well but I doubt I would've gotten an honest answer(since it's a touristy area as well). The store however does sell real ammonites and other minerals and that I'm sure of since I'm well enough acquainted with those! 

22 minutes ago, Ajax said:

that much anyways I just wanted something even if it only resembles a trilobite.

Why not  take back and exchange it or try and get your money back. Before buying post it on the forum and ask for opinions. Some  tourist shops count on that they never see the customer again . Cheers Bobby 

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

Again, don't feel bad since it didn't cost me that much anyways I just wanted something even if it only resembles a trilobite. It's not like I could find any other local shop/seller at the time and that was the cheapest so I was kinda going in there expecting to get a fake. Plus that store is a little stingy with their fossils so I didn't want to be rude by asking to take pictures to confirm it's authenticity. Sure I could've asked the store clerk as well but I doubt I would've gotten an honest answer(since it's a touristy area as well). The store however does sell real ammonites and other minerals and that I'm sure of since I'm well enough acquainted with those! 

If you are happy with the purchase then that is all that really matters. Glad you didn’t pay a whole lot for it. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)