Dirt Digger

i have numerious pictures in my gallerie if anyone can help me figure out whats there that would be great id appreaciate it alot new to this and lovin it so far

i have numerious pictures in my gallerie if anyone can help me figure out whats there that would be great id appreaciate it alot new to this and lovin it so far

med_gallery_3323_831_871264.jpg

The darker appears to be basalt but the lighter material could be a Bryazoan colony I have similar stuff from down here in WA . Does the lighter material have any structure or patern in it?

I find mine in a marine layer of siltstone that contains none fossil volcanic drift with all kinds of fossils in it. I call it the beach layer.

Welcome Dirt Digger!

I don't see any fossils in your images. General geology isn't my forte, so I won't try to guess what the mineral is, but I don't think there's a fossil there.

Dirt digger,

Here is a close up of what I find. if yours does not look like this then it may just be a mineral and most likely calcite.

gallery_235_814_45387.jpg

Edited by micropterus101

actually the darker part is what i believe to be corn that picture was to show it as best i could its black in the centre and thin crispy layer on top the black the actual rock is really heavy and has the shape of a skull with what looke like claw marks and bit marks like somethin chewed on it the back portion thats in that pic is in the bac where the rear is missing im dertimed to find the other half lol it should be fairly easy as the 2 witish colour that scrapes across the top should also be on the other half if i can find it ill have a better image i have other pics i could send u if needed as fer what kind of material the rock is im very new to this so its hard to figure anything out but i do appreaciate the help for sure

med_gallery_3323_831_871264.jpg

The darker appears to be basalt but the lighter material could be a Bryazoan colony I have similar stuff from down here in WA . Does the lighter material have any structure or patern in it?

I find mine in a marine layer of siltstone that contains none fossil volcanic drift with all kinds of fossils in it. I call it the beach layer.

is ok i did post the bison i found i managed to determine that that one was a fossill anywhere from 200-2000 yrs old once i get time ill probably go get the rest of it and just donate it where it could be appreaciated by anyone

Welcome Dirt Digger!

I don't see any fossils in your images. General geology isn't my forte, so I won't try to guess what the mineral is, but I don't think there's a fossil there.

oh u mean the light coloured stuff lol thats just sand i didnt clean it up yet as i didnt want to wreak it lol until i figure out how to clean it i really am new to it i found it in a desert like condition with sandstone around lots of fosilized pieces but alot of them boke up all over the valley

Dirt digger,

Here is a close up of what I find. if yours does not look like this then it may just be a mineral and most likely calcite.

the actual image of the entire thing is actually my avatar the rest of the pics of that one are in my gallerie or i could sendem direct to if anyone know someone in calgary i could talk to that wouldnt mind then i could find out much more as well or knows how i should clean it so i dont wreck it would be ok too

Dirt digger,

In my opinion, basalt (or other volcanic rock) would match for the dark rock. For the crust, calcyte deposit?