ClearLake

After my most recent field trip where there were at least three other TFF members present, but I didn't know it until afterwards, I wanted to be a bit more proactive for an upcoming trip.  Last Fall, my wife and I made our first visit to Penn Dixie and had a great time.  It was a very nice day and it was a weekday after the regular season so we were the only people in the quarry for most of the day.  The only downside was that the pit and the most trilobite rich rocks were under water.  My luck, less than a week after we were there, the society newsletter said they had just pumped out the pit!  Oh well...  We were able to collect lots of nice brachiopods, corals, etc and a couple of OK trilobites but mostly trilo-bits.  This year we decided we would go back and to (hopefully) ensure access to fresher, more productive trilobite material, we signed up for the Dig With The Experts event on Saturday June 3.  So, if any other TFF members are planning to be there, let me know (via reply or PM) and we can meet, swap stories, etc.  If regulars at PD are there, I'll be happy to soak up any knowledge that I can since I have only been there once.  Looking forward to it and hopefully, Ill add some results to this thread after I've been there.  Thanks

Mike

PS: @RandyB had a good post after he attended last years event (and I know I have seen lots of other posts from further back): 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

I will be there! I know a number of others are going, but they can out themselves if they wish.

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

I should have planned for PD, instead I elected for a southern route to hit the Aurora Fossil Festival this weekend before rambling down south. After driving 500 miles to get here Aurora announced this afternoon they are postponing for a month due to inclement weather... now I need to figure out something to do on a rainy weekend in eastern NC before we head out for the rest of our roadtrip.  At least the Inn we picked seems nice.

You will probably bump into @Malcolmt as one of the experts on hand (otherwise, you really don't want us Canadians coming down there :P ). 

• Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

12 hours ago, Kane said:

You will probably bump into @Malcolmt as one of the experts on hand (otherwise, you really don't want us Canadians coming down there :P ). 

I don’t know Kane… From what I hear those Canadian made Human Backhoes are pretty good to have around at Penn Dixie. They move overburden and cut new benches like no other! ;) 

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I don’t know Kane… From what I hear those Canadian made Human Backhoes are pretty good to have around at Penn Dixie. They move overburden and cut new benches like no other! ;) 

And that's probably why wrecking crew folks like me shouldn't go -- we just end up hoovering up everything. The trilos there start to lose their charm after about a thousand of them. :D I say let others who don't have one yet have a go; otherwise, it's just people like me hoarding. :P 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

22 hours ago, RandyB said:

After driving 500 miles to get here Aurora announced this afternoon they are postponing for a month due to inclement weather...

I don’t know how others feel, but I think that this is such a bad decision to cancel the show. How many visitors and vendors drove there, only to arrive and find out that the show was canceled, not to mention the food vendors (if any) that purchased food to sell. Hotels rates at the surrounding towns are probably increased during the show and now people are paying those prices, for a show that is not happening. I also wonder how many people have flew from states farther away or even other countries to visit this show. I was thinking about attending but we changed our minds and I am glad. It would have been a 12 hour drive and we would not have known it was canceled until we arrived. I also checked the weather and it is not raining, but it is supposed to start again later. What will they do if it is raining on the June dates? Cancel it again? I start to wonder if it was really the weather for the cancellation of such a large and highly attended show.