Unknown specimen from the shores of Lake Erie

Robwaw

Hello.  I am looking for some help identifying this fossil.  Here are some pertinent details.  Thanks in advance!

Size....  It is about 42mm long by 21mm wide.  It is a full fossil on the surface of a mostly spherical rock that is just slightly bigger than the fossil itself.

Shape...  Oblong.  Oval.

Color...  The rock is a brown color.  The fossil is white.  The rock appears to have a lot of minerals in it.  I can see glints of very small crystals throughout the fossil.

Texture...  Very rough.  The organism appears to have had body segments.  The deepest parts of the fossil appear to be about 1mm deep in the rock.

Distinctive features...  This is what is baffling me.  It appears to have a "tail" with fine segments like a fish, however it seems to be horizontally oriented and not vertically like a fish.  (Tail is in quotes because I am not sure it really is a tail per se.)  It looks like it may have had appendages that were concentrated toward the center length of the body.  The "head" appears to be articulated, as it is slightly tilted to one side.  While it has a head, there are no distinguishing features visible on it.  Now for the really weird part...  The entire organism, including the head, is surrounded by hairs or feelers or some kind of structure.  It appears to be very similar to the tail segments.  I can see very clear individual elements of this structure.

The rock also has several other smaller fossils on it that look to me like very very large plant cells group together in pairs to form longer strands.  I believe there is also a tiny shrimp-like fossil on the rock (also pictured below).

Geological Context...  It is on a fairly spherical rock that was found on a Lake Erie beach.  That beach was located at Vermilion, Ohio.  It was found amongst a lot of rocks of similar size and quite a bit of shale.

20230515_172916.jpg

20230515_172510.jpg

20230515_172200.jpg

20230515_172212.jpg

20230515_172226.jpg

20230515_131824.jpg

20230515_131839.jpg

20230515_172247.png

Looks like a cross section through a solitary or horn coral, probably from the Paleozoic. The rock is probably composed of carbonate.

• I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, fossilus said:

Looks like a cross section through a solitary or horn coral, probably from the Paleozoic. The rock is probably composed of carbonate.

Thanks for the super fast response!  I thought it may be a coral as well.  Would a coral have those "hairs" (or cilia, or whatever they are) around the entire organism?  That part is really throwing me.

Screenshot_2023-05-15-18-46-07-63_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.png.0ad292a0b35cef03a890924db71514e6.png

1 hour ago, Robwaw said:

Thanks for the super fast response!  I thought it may be a coral as well.  Would a coral have those "hairs" (or cilia, or whatever they are) around the entire organism?  That part is really throwing me.

No, this is just what they look like in side view section.