Mosquito in Cretaceous Burmese Amber?

Pliosaur

Hello,

Just wanted to ask for opinions on whether this is a female mosquito in Burmese Amber? I’ve attached some pictures below and closeup (best quality I can get) 

From what I’ve been told, this particular mosquito is a female using the branched antennae to identify it as a female. Males have a much more plumose (feather-like) antennae. Female mosquitoes are known for drawing blood to produce their eggs, hence this mosquito would have been capable of drawing blood. Please note its long proboscis it would have used to draw blood. It also has fine hairs on its wings characteristic of true mosquitoes (aids in producing the buzzing sound).  

And also that novices may sometimes mistake some gnats and midges for mosquitoes. A closer examination will reveal the differences. Male mosquitoes have very plumose (feather-like) antennae and do not bite; they feed on nectar and other plant juices. Females have only a few short hairs on the antennae and with their long proboscis are blood-sucking.

Appreciate any opinions, thanks in advance! 

111F2705-BF76-4F52-A408-CF8E51F32D75.jpeg

90F9C15A-3B6D-49EB-AED9-ADB50D3ECBA9.jpeg

FF82759F-91E7-4A5B-860D-6ED69C4817EA.jpeg

9C864E38-0BBE-4999-A5C4-60E1868BED32.jpeg

18E92EA8-40BF-4523-9A52-D5D80A18DD4C.jpeg

65516165-CEDB-46DA-B0B7-9A79E010EBDF.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

I don't know if it's because of the preservation or photography, but I have a hard time seeing what's going on with the head at all, much less if it has a proboscis or branched antennae. I do see some long, thin structures next to the head, but I can't tell if they're actually attached to it or just some associated fragmentary pieces of leg or debris, etc. I can't make out the wing venation either, which I'm told is also important in distinguishing mosquitos.

In fact even a proboscis is not indicative of a mosquito. Maybe you've seen the below very similar ID request I made. Even with excellent preservation and crisp photography, as well as the specimen resembling a mosquito with the long proboscis, it turned out to not be one. True Mosquitos I'm told are very rare in burmite.

Edited by Mochaccino

@Mochaccino Interesting post! Thank you for sharing this, would the overall shape of the insect and the length of the legs help identify it? Sorry for the pics, wish I had higher quality 

I think this is another good start and will help with identification of millions of year old insects in amber, just like dinosaur parts, the more the better.

Hi, can you yell us what is the size of it ?

I don't know the size of your coin.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hello,
I am not expert but i got some experience becouse inclusions in ambers its passion of my life.

In every mosquito that i had or saw in ambers, proboscis was really long and "solid" ( i attached pics ).
I think also head was smaller than we see on your pictures and body shape is different in my opinion.
Your specimen is very oxidised so hard to see antenna details on this pictures.
Anyway - some Dipterist should check it under binocular becouse as i said, i am not expert, just amber maniac.

927234119_1GrzesiekCulicidaeCulexRealMosquito.jpg

1487667809_7080ExtremelyRareCulicidaeCulexTrueMosquito.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, Pliosaur said:

@Mochaccino Interesting post! Thank you for sharing this, would the overall shape of the insect and the length of the legs help identify it? Sorry for the pics, wish I had higher quality 

I'm hardly an expert, @vermiculosis would be more suited to answer that, along with the people who helped in my post. To me the overall shape doesn't strike me as mosquito, and I agree with vermiculosis. I'd expect a mosquito to have a proportionately much longer and thinner segmented abdomen, smaller head, and longer legs.

Edited by Mochaccino