Denis Arcand

Greetings, wise paleontologist!

I've stumbled upon an odd mix of bryozoa that has left me scratching my head. Before I slap a label on it, I thought I'd ask the expert (that's you!). No brachiopods or debris in sight, so it's not your typical fossil party aftermath. Could it be the shattered remains of a bryozoa colony? Who knows what drama went down there! Care to shed some light on this puzzle?

And, if I may ask, is it wise to cut this thing in half? If so, any tips on which axes to choose? I don't want to accidentally start a bryozoa brawl!:D

Thanks for your time and wisdom.

379R_DSC08036b.thumb.JPG.9ba3ae2c6dd99de7595900b25fcce9e9.JPG

379R_DSC08004b.thumb.JPG.2fa0ad46ff41677a17aa94b0ba24d1a8.JPG379R_DSC08008b.thumb.JPG.ee8bbd17cd762c59294c1a513973cafd.JPG

379R_DSC07993b.thumb.JPG.f0383b7d94b29432b7e9430fdb8048da.JPG

Edited by Denis Arcand
  • Enjoyed 5

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

Lots of smashed up, branching bryozoans, part of a bryozoan forest. 

Lovely. :b_love1:

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I agree with Adam and I would leave it as is.

Thanks for your answer! I totally get that you're advising against cutting the fossil in half. But I have to admit, I was hoping it would look awesome once sliced and polished. So, could you enlighten me on why it's better to keep it as is? Is it more about preserving its scientific value or just for the sake of aesthetics?

By the way, do you think this fossil might catch the attention of a museum? If it does, I'd be thrilled to donate it without a second thought.

Looking forward to your expert advice!

57 minutes ago, Denis Arcand said:

I totally get that you're advising against cutting the fossil in half. But I have to admit, I was hoping it would look awesome once sliced and polished. So, could you enlighten me on why it's better to keep it as is?

That was just my humble opinion. As far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever you want with it.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I have a very similar chunk of fossils as the picture you posted.  Found a couple of years ago on Lake Erie, Ontario.  

20230517_172926.jpg

20230517_172915.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

22 minutes ago, PRLE said:

I have a very similar chunk of fossils as the picture you posted.  Found a couple of years ago on Lake Erie, Ontario.  

20230517_172926.jpg

20230517_172915.jpg

Lovely. :b_love1:

Do you have any tips on how I can enhance the appearance of my fossil?

Edited by Denis Arcand

Lol, I am the wrong guy to ask.  I wash the fossils I find and then put Vaseline on them.  It lasts a long time and gives them the wet look which makes them stand out.  One time I tried tumbling a few.  Bought a rock tumbler but didn't realize it was a weeks long process and hurried it along with expected terrible (non)results. 

I don't have time right now but at some point there are a few fossils that are a really vibrant blue that I wouldn't mind doing something with.  

40 minutes ago, PRLE said:

I don't think that's bryozoa. 

I'm fairly sure that's a fasciculate rugose coral colony. 

Very nice, too. :)

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

10 hours ago, Denis Arcand said:

Thanks for your answer! I totally get that you're advising against cutting the fossil in half. But I have to admit, I was hoping it would look awesome once sliced and polished. So, could you enlighten me on why it's better to keep it as is? Is it more about preserving its scientific value or just for the sake of aesthetics?

The thing with pieces like this is they look good as nature prepared them... It's not too big, and the fossils cover most/all of the piece, so it's a shame to cut it down - once cut, it can't be uncut - but as Roger says, it's totally up to you. If you absolutely wanted to cut it in half and polish the cut surface, I would have a hard time resisting that temptation as well. But I would not do it unless I had a good rock saw with water for lubrication (instead of the usual oil, which seems impossible to clean from porous sedimentary rocks). Ideally you'd like to have more pieces so you could cut one and leave the other one au naturel. How common is this material where you are?

Edited by Wrangellian

25 minutes ago, PRLE said:

Lol, I am the wrong guy to ask.  I wash the fossils I find and then put Vaseline on them.  It lasts a long time and gives them the wet look which makes them stand out.  One time I tried tumbling a few.  Bought a rock tumbler but didn't realize it was a weeks long process and hurried it along with expected terrible (non)results. 

I don't have time right now but at some point there are a few fossils that are a really vibrant blue that I wouldn't mind doing something with.  

Ack! Well it looks nice but it seems to me a vaseline-coated rock would attract dust. .?

Sedimentary rocks generally don't polish well, but depending on how fine-grained they are and the tools/skill you have, it might work. If the fossils are silica they will take a good polish but the matrix might not. Probably the quickest and best way to give a sheen is a coat of Paraloid/Acryloid, which will last indefinitely but can be removed with acetone.

39 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Ack! Well it looks nice but it seems to me a vaseline-coated rock would attract dust. .?

Sedimentary rocks generally don't polish well, but depending on how fine-grained they are and the tools/skill you have, it might work. If the fossils are silica they will take a good polish but the matrix might not. Probably the quickest and best way to give a sheen is a coat of Paraloid/Acryloid, which will last indefinitely but can be removed with acetone.

I mentioned I was the wrong guy to ask lol.  I don't know if its the location (basement) where I keep the fossils, but dust has not been an issue. 

20230517_192036.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I know you did!  ^_^  Interesting display. Any more room?

Well it's nice to have a spot where dust is not a problem... It's a problem I can't escape here!

I will probably add another book case right next to this one.   That way I can bring some of the largers fossils currently in the garden inside.  It's in the basement out of the way so there is a bit of room.

And sorry to hijack Denis's thread, but I realized I have another chunk that is also very similar to his post.  

20230517_193258.jpg

• I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PRLE said:

And sorry to hijack Denis's thread, but I realized I have another chunk that is also very similar to his post. 

That's the ticket! Blue.gif.1ddb16a56d465bdd03276ef6ba3a028b.gif

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.